Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:10 PM   #1

I was incredibly disappointed that there's no press release from Sony about a replacement for the F828. The H1 perhaps points in an appropriate direction.... but not with a Sony-branded lens (vs. Zeiss) and only 5MP.

If I don't hear something soon, I maybe sorely tempted to move on to a Digital SLR. <sigh>. Do you suppose Sony is abandoning the pro-sumer market?

A. A. Katz

http://www.luminouseye.com
aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:03 PM   #2

It seems that Sony did not prepare a replacement for the DSC-F828 for the PMA show. It may mean that it will come out with a new flagship later (if I'm not mistaken, the 828 was not shown first at the PMA or Photokina, either).

There are many wonderful new DSLRs out there and their prices are dropping. Still, you have to consider the price of the body AND the lens or lenses, the bulk and the features.
sjlivson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:05 AM   #3

I highly doubt that Sony would drop their highly successful prosumer F-series. The F-series are usually announced in August. There are rumors that there will be more info on more Sony cameras in the weeks that follow the PMA, and rumors that the new F-series camera will be announced in March or April. I'm eagerly awaiting the new F939 or whatever it will be called.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:16 PM   #4

I'm eagerly awaiting it too :-)

Oddly enough, though, I'm noting a real resistance to the high-megapixel cameras in the reviews and commentaries. Example, Pogue in yesterday's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/24/te...ts/24stat.html

reviews three prosumer cameras (not including the F828) and spends the first half of the article dissing 8 megapixels -as unnecessary, etc. Seems to feel (as apparently, most manufacturers do) that 5mp is more than enough.

Of course, anyone who uses an 8MP camera would be unlikely to agree - including me. I can't imagine photography without the ability to exercize the longstanding tradition of cropping! And cropping down to a high-quality image, not some vague, washed-out remnant of a photograph! :-)

Not to mention the incredible detail I get with the Zeiss glass and 8MP on my numerous landscapes. Seems most of the world has not quite figured out the key to digital photography: that's it's about capturing -information-. You can always discard extra information you don't want, but you can't add information that wasn't there in the first place <sigh>.

Oh well, enough of my rants. I'll continue holding my breath for a while waiting to see what Sony's up to......

A. A. Katz

http://www.luminouseye.com

aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:08 AM   #5

I agree, I'm routinely disappointed with the NYTimes reviews. The casual reader would often miss the truth buried under Pogue's prejudices and needlessly chatty blathering.

For example, as you say he talks about how 8MP are unnecessary but then says:

Quote:
Now that you've been given the Lecture, it's only fair to acknowledge that more megapixels do come in handy in three situations. First, an eight-megapixel photo has enough resolution for giant prints - 20-inch-by-30-inch posters, for example. Second, more megapixels give you the freedom to crop out a huge amount of a photo to isolate the really good stuff, while still leaving enough pixels to make reasonably sized prints. Third - let's be honest here - it's fun to blow people away by telling them you have an eight-megapixel camera.

Well, as you discuss, that "Second" is a huge point, largely undercuttingwhat he's said;and should have been first (who prints posters?).With 7-8MP, digital zoom finally starts to be useful ... you can throw away pixels and still have a decent resolution. Or crop after the fact.

buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote