Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:54 AM   #1

I am getting so frustrated with blog/forums with people saying the P200 is a "cosmetic" only upgrade of the P150.

This patently is not true, (manual white balance is a glaringly obvious and from what I've seen important difference) but the difficulty is Sony sites not having very good (or descriptive) specs for the camera, some of which differ from country to country (which I know Sony use as a disclaimer).

My ponderable is whether Sony are doing themselves a disfavour by being so disorganised?

I also wish some people on t'internet would do a bit more reseach - hopefully when someone does a full review of it this will stop...the truth is out there...:roll:
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

Manual white balance is hardly a mega upgrade in a camera of this typeas it is only useful if a reference card is carried around and used prior to every shot. This really defeats the point and shoot nature of the camera. Anyway lets face it the auto white balance is as accuarate as most users would want. The only aspect of the P200 that I would want over my P150 is the centre weighted metering, as this would be usefull, however I can live without that. I do feel that the launch of new models at such short intervals by most manufacturers, is rather like soccer teams changing shirt designs in order to sell to the must have the latest item at all cost brigade. The unfortunate problem withthe P200 over the previous models is the incompatabilty of accessories, such as the marine pack etc. Photography is not about "my cameras better than yours" its about enjoying taking pictures
rockyglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:37 AM   #3

Fair enough, but the number of posts I see which actually say that these features do not exist out numbers any that do.

I would have been sorely disappointed buying a P150 now that the P200 is out (which I very nearly did).

For upgraders I certainly don't see the point of spending cash on something so similar but for a first time buy it's something that can sway your choice.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:05 AM   #4

Iagree Gabby that its silly to pretend there are no differences between the two, however the one adavantage of this constant new model path the manufacturerers follow means that I got my P150 at a very good price. Obviously the retaillers are aware that a replacement is about to be launched and reduce the price of the existing models accordingly. I, like you would have been really annoyed if I had bought my P150 and then then a new model was launched shortly afterwards. By the sound of it with the P200 Sony has made some subtle improvements, without getting rid of the basis of what is a very good camera. I know people winge about blurry inddor shots and other deficiencies. Well having owned loads of digi cameras from Olympus, HP canon and Nikon. They all compromise with the combinations of shutter speed and aperture. At least Sony gives the opprtunity to make some manual adjustments to compensate. I haveadded the Sony external flash which solves most of the low light indoor problems. I still cannot believe how small, fastthe camera is and also the quality of photos it produces.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:12 AM   #5

Granted Rockyglw that prices for the P150 will no doubt drop thanks to intro of P200, and if the P150 is still your choice then you are laughing all the way to the camera store (or out of it with your sparkly new P150 actually).

I have yet to have a blurry photo with the P200 that hasn't been down to my own fault.

My point about this thread was whether Sony had done themselves a disfavour by not correctly pointing out the differences between the P150 and the P200 and allowing people to assume there were no differences beyond a new casing and a 2in screen!

Surely as a manufacturer you'dgo out ofyour way to point out any differences (however minute/subtle) in order to flogyour latest model particularly when it follows so quickly from the previous one.

It almost seems like Sony are playing down the P200 which kinda makes you wonder.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:44 AM   #6

Perhaps Sony hope that people will continue to buy the P150 until all stocks have been exausted, then they will push the reasons why P150 owners should sell their cameras at a massive loss and buy the latest model. I do think as with the upgrade from P100 that they could have made all the accessories compatible with the P200, perhaps being really, cynical they hope people will not realise after upgrading and buy a new marine jacket and docking station. I pleased you are happy with your camera. I certainly continue to be happy with mine. Next up hopefully will be a Canon 350D Digital SLR.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:12 AM   #7

I can think of an alternate possibility....

It seems sony is putting P series to an end with P200. They knew people fascinated with P150 or ones looking at P150 would surely give a shot at P200. In this market, wider screen and smaller size are the BIGGEST features (not many people use the manual features). So i guess the market they were looking at was anyway with Sony.
And Sony launched its Stamina series. Maybe it wanted to highlight it more during the PMA show compared to P200. S-series is new..they want it be popular soon !! they are mid-priced models, catering to perhaps a larger mass of people.
So favoring S-series against the already popular P-series?
just a thought,
kaz.
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:07 AM   #8

It wouldn't be very smart of Sony to put an end to the P series considering it is their most popular version camera. I do think they should have sample pictures on their website showcasing their new p200 but they don't.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:48 AM   #9

The bigger LCD screen isthe obvious difference. Plus every new generation has a bunch of refinements. It is odd that they make it so hard to figure out what's different.

Maybe it really is a matter of clearing out the P150 stock.

It is a shame the accessories don't fit. Though since I don't own any of them ... I'm glad they didn't feel constrained by that in designing the new camera. It really could impede progress to have to always fit the old accessories.

As for dropping the P series ... that's ridiculous.It's the perfect compact, high quality package. If they drop anything, they should drop the T series. Not much smaller but much lower quality.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:28 PM   #10

Heck, why bother with the P200 or the P150....the P100 is everything one could want in a digicam. Anyone ever see how the P100 can take tack sharp photos in absolute darkness?

And now you can buy the P100 for less than 300 bucks. As Doctor Zoidberg would say....It's a great deal, it is.

Steve, Strazeele, France

Attached Images

SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote