Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:24 PM   #1

Have a probelm with a DSCP73 that does the following according to this except from a conversation with my son, keeping in mind we have used different memory sticks and had the same problem with 2 new P73s, the first one has been sent for repair/troubleshooting.

Q: give me a quick description of what the camera does/doesn't do
A: take card out, put in memory card reader, delete pictures, put card back in camera, pics still there, take a picture (or even if you don't) turn camera off, take card out, wipes card, formatting the card with FAT32 every time you use it solves problem
Q:have you formatted the thing in the camera using the camera to do the formatting
A: yeah, same problem, what's weird is it works for a while, THEN does this
Q: does it do it if you hook the camera to the computer and do the transfer and deletion or only with memory card reader
A: w/ the memory card reader
Q: does it work properly if you use the camera to do everything instead of the reader
A: I don't know, I don't use the cable anymore, and I don't really feel like digging it out right now
Q: try it, it may be an issue with the reader itself
A: it's not the reader, I've tried 2 different card readers, Scott has an older, very different Belkin one, mine's a very new one
Q: that doesn't mean its not the readers, maybe its an issue of how the readers work
A: so why does it work for a while then stop? and why would the camera delete the pictures? That's got nothing to do with the reader.

rgsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:35 PM   #2

I'm not sure what this post is getting at...:?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:57 PM   #3

I will clarify, having the problem of the camera deleting photos off the stick randomly. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem with the P73? A google search turned up on instance of someone having a problem with a P92 dropping photos in a similar fashion.

Note that this is the second P73 to do this, I bought the first one for Xmas this past year, it worked fine for about 3 weeks, then starting doing this. Sent it for repair, the replacement one is doing the same thing.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:04 PM   #4

No, I've never had that problem or emen heard of it...
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:10 PM   #5

Yes, it is puzzling. The part that I noticed..and tell me if I get this wrong...you take the card out of the camera; put it in a card reader; DELETE some pictures and when you put the card back in the camera you say the pics are STILL THERE!

If the pictures have not been deleted in the card reader (because the camera still shows them) then the problem could be in the card reader BUT if the card reader IS deleting the files but the camera still reads something then there must be something remaining that the camera is interpreting as a full picture.

When you format the card...do you do it in the camera or in the card reader?
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:45 PM   #6

My son has formatted the stick in both camera and in reader, he has tried two different readers, 3 different sticks. If he formats it in the reader to fat32, it will be okay for a little while, then it will start dumping pictures again in the camera.

It is a mystery, unfortunately being separated by 250km, it makes it a little difficult to do troubleshooting. My son is quite conversant with both the camera and computers, however there is no replacement for doing it yourself.

I was hoping perhaps that this was a known problem, then there would probably be a simple solution, it appears not to be. We will keep trying, will post answer if I find it.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:57 AM   #7

I have noticed all sorts of problems deleting images from a memory stick -in the computer-. Keep in mind that the memory stick does a sequential read - it's not like the fat table on a computer - it doesn't have "garbage" collection to retrieve fragmented memory.

I -never- delete pictures from a memory stick in the computer, only in the camera.

This may or may not address your issue. I hope it helps....
aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8

I think problem is something of MS . I only delete pictures by using menu in camera . Cannot delete pictures or format MS somewhen by PC , somewhen by menu in camera . Buy new MS . This is my solution .
liennd is offline   Reply With Quote