Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:41 AM   #1

I just found this problem recently with my DSC V1. Here is the situation, i tried to use the optical viewfinder taking picture at macro, looking at the viewfinder, the object that i was shooting is exactly at the center but after taking the picture and looking at the actual shot, the object is already at the far left of the picture. I tried checking at long range shot but the result was OK, this only happens when the object that I was shooting is at a very close range. Is this normal? Does anybody have the same experience?
dudearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:17 AM   #2

I like to correct my previous inquiry, The object isnot to the far left but to the far right of the actual picture.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:41 AM   #3

The situation you're encountering is perfectly normal. I believe it's called "parallax" (or something similar!?!) In any event, it's the result ofhaving theview finder separate from the lens. As you move in close to a subject, you noted (quite correctly, I might add!) that thelens and view finder do not see the object the same and nor would you expect them to. This is one of the major advantages to single lens reflex cameras and cameras with electronic view finders - you see (compose) the object just as the lens sees it. Try using theLCD display to compose your macro shots; you'll notice that it's a lot more accurate than the view finder.

"In the old days of film" many cameras had marks on the optical view finders to give you some indication on how to frame / compose a picture. The view finder was usually a bit larger than the actual framed picture and if you moved infor a closeup, you go some idea of how to frame / compose the picture (usually down and to the left or right, as appropriate.)

Hope this all makes sense. Bottom line - it's normal.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
(and the SO's P-150)
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. plg3. You have perfectly answer my question.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:33 AM   #5

Paul is correct, the problem is parallax. But it does bring up a point that should be addressed by Sony. When using the optical viewfinders on thier cameras (including the V3) the information provided is useless. Well, on the V3 there is no information provided in the viewfinder...not even a crosshair for focus point or parallax correction lines or any exposure information.

It is possible. On my Contax T3, which is an advanced point and shoot film cameras, the camera automatically determines the distance to the subject and physically adjusts the viewfinder to correct for parallax. You can also see shutter speed, flash status, focus confirmation...all in the little optical viewfinder. Even my cheap Yashica T4 has parallax lines visible in the viewfinder.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote