Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:34 AM   #11

You might want to check the white balance, I adjusted it and then forgot, set it on landscape mode and the whole city looked blue.
Nocontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:47 AM   #12

This is on "Auto" (which you can't adjust)....so the White Balance is on auto. All my non-flash shots have this greenish / blueish hue to it.

Do you think its a defective camera?
nickc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:29 AM   #13

I recently took a few pictures outside in the snow (cloudy), and in (what I would call) ultra-bright conditions with full sun and new shiny snow.

There was no blue what-so-ever in auto mode. I would suggest trying another camera.
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:08 AM   #14

i plan to buy the SONY DSC-W1 and while searching for sample images, i stumbled across this forum and registered.

this may be an old thread but i can't help but comment on your pics, nickc3.

it's not the DSC-W1 that has the problem but your old Olympus. i have an Oly C-740UZ andwhen i compared itsshotto a Canon Powershot A80 shot,the images producedhad reddish tinge. i've done several 'trials' myself on this which finally made me confirm that it really has this reddish tinge.

i think this has been corrected on the Oly newer models. my basis is the 'white gate' in your sample pics. notice that the Oly gate shot is really not white (but slight reddish) as compared to the W1.

no digital camera is perfect! :-)
techram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:35 AM   #15

I disagree. Look at the snow. The Sony Snow has a blueish hue to it. Don't you agree. The gray car does NOT look gray on the Sony.

I honestly think the Olympus has a perfect white balance. And, either the SOny is way off, or I have a defective camera. Is this a possible defect?
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:58 AM   #16

You could try to adjust the white balance, by using Manual mode (which I almost exclusively use). There are a couple of settings, you can't do it manually, though. But at least try.

When I set it at TL (the white balance), I do get a blueish tint, more than that of yours in a situation once at school, when I wanted to take a snap.

Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:12 PM   #17

are you saying you always get a bluish tint when WB is on auto? Or just one time?
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:54 PM   #18

As I said, I hardly use auto. The Olympus you had probably was better in setting the appropiate white balance automatically, than the W1 is. I myself think that although you can usethe W1as a point and shoot camera, it really shines when you use the manual mode, now that could either be a good thing or a bad thing. Like the blurry pictures, some W1 keep complaining about. It's due to handshake, but the reason the camera is so sensitive for that in automatic, is because the shutter speed is too long. Shortening the shutter speed will do wonders, though (And of course a steady hand).

Maybe the Auto mode of the W1 is not so good, then. But I haven't got other camera's to compare with. (I did have the P93 for two weeks, though, good camera, but I wanted that extra quality punch, the W1).
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:27 AM   #19

By accident I noticed how I can purposfuly get the same bluish results: take a picture of a snow landscape through a window in cloudy conditions. If I open the window the snow goes back to white. I tried it 5 times and got identical results, even after closing & re-starting the camera. (in auto mode)

Maybe the green hue of standard glass that might throw off the AWB? I don't know, but it IS interesting.

Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote