Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:07 PM   #1

I have narrowed my search down to the P93 and the W1. I like that they both use AA's as I have a lot of recharable ones on hand.

w/o using the redeye function is one better over the other? I don't like the delay when using the function but my son gets red eye so bad that even postprocessing doesn't take it out.

Also, is one faster in shot to shot when using flash?

Should I wait for the H1? Which ever cam I get will be my back up to the Canon xt.

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:55 PM   #2

The W1 starts up much faster.

The shutter speed on both are quite similar, the P-93 does quite act different in auto mode compared to the W1.

Red-eye on the W1 is a lot more problematic, than on the P-93.

I still could take the red-eye out in post processing, though.

I've had the P-93, but later took the W-1.
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:03 PM   #3

BTW, I didn't expect the P-200 sell for so cheap, in its launch. It's about €80,- more expensive, than what I've paid for the W1.

I see you -like I do- appreciate the AA batteries it uses, so yeah, then it can only come between the P-93 and the W1.

Other things:

The W1 is a lot more solidly built, than the P93. It's of aluminium. Not that the P-93 isn't built well, though.

When being highly critical, the W1 does have a better picture quality than the P93 (colours, noise, barrel distortion, sharpness, contrast, you name it).

From what I've read the P73 is even better in the picture quality than the P93, but I couldn't find out myself.
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:39 PM   #4

If you want to buy my NEW (only 2 weeks old) BLACK W1, email me ASAP.... I paid $350 - selling it for $300...
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5

The W1 takes some getting used to in order to get good shots. I wouldn't call the learning curve steep, but it's definetly not easy. However the picture quality is worth the effort to get to know the camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The P93 on the other hand takes very good pics right out of the box. The flash placement reduces red eye. There is some slight barrel distortion, but colors are saturated, and the flash is suprisingly strong. The P93 is my backup digicam (behind the V3, and my Nikon film body). In fact my 9 year old daughter takes very good pics with the P93.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:34 AM   #6

I don't like the color saturation of my P93. I'm planning to buy a V3 for that reason. I don't know how it is in W1 but i don't think it is much different. I really miss old P72's colors!!

rjseeney, can you see any difference between the saturation of your V3 and P93?
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:32 AM   #7

I have no experience with either of the two, but I did a little looking at the two side by side and I would probably choose the W1 simply because it has slightly better picture quality from the shots I have seen online and it has a larger view screen.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:06 PM   #8

The V3 definately shows more saturation and obviously has more resolution. The V3 also gives you the ability to adjust saturation and sharpening. Th P93 allows slight adjustments using presetadjustments (vivid, sepia, etc). The Zeiss lens on the V3 also contributes to better print quality. One upside to the p93 is lower noise levels in low light shooting. If you don't have the F32 flash for the V3 you will see some noise in low light shots.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:09 AM   #9

I think this noise of V3 is because of that it has faster ISO. The P93/W1 has max 400 whereas V3 has 800. So maybe it is selecting higher values when it is let automatic.

By the way, there are really nice softwares to remove that noise. I am using the "noiseware" and it really does good job. You can find a free version in www.imagenomic.com
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:30 AM   #10

The noise is also a result of the hi megapixel count on a small sensor. I have not used any of the noise reducing programs...the F32 flash allows me to use lower ISO's in lowlight situations. I have found the 800 ISO unusable...I think even the noise reducing software would reduce the sharpness too much to get a decent picture. The noise problem is not unique to the V3...I believe this is an issue all 7 and 8mp prosumer cameras have.

Like most digicams, the V3 is great, as long as you understand its limitations.