Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:41 AM   #1

Hi.thanks to all the info on this forum i just bought a sony p200 from dixons. they also offer coverplan for digital cameras in case something goes wrong. it protects you from accidental damage on the camera and if they cant fix it theyll give you a new one .the price is 60 pounds for 3 years.is it worth it?(im worryed about the dust on the lens and stuff)
smsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:41 PM   #2

I'd say "buy it" esp. if it will give you peace of mind...and it provides "complete" coverage which is good-digital cameras are VERY expensive to repair. In general, I am wary of extended warranties (I used to sell them as an appliance salesman) but there are times when they are worthwhile (e.g. dishwashers and refrigerators b/c they tend to break more often). I just bought the P200 myself today and am seriously considering getting a similar coverage thru CompUSA -it would cost me $30 for 2 years or $50 for 3 years. I have 14 days to decide...
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:37 PM   #3

Hi.

thanks for your reply. i was wondering, what does the sony warranty cover?

if it covers accidental damge then theres no point of getting the coverplan from dixons.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

SONY will NOT cover accidental damage - no manufacturer will. That's how stores like Dixon can have an edge. Basically, you need to ask yourself "How many years do I plan on having it"?, "How careful am I"? and "If I can EASILY afford it"?
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:10 AM   #5

Hi guys!

I m interested in buying the P200. Do stores like Dixons offer this cover plan internationally?? I am from Malta and here there is no such thing. Of course I would have to send it back from my own pocket in that case is it??
Debole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:38 AM   #6

Hi.

dixons coverplan offers international repairs aswell.but the downside is that you cant buy a 1 or 2 years coverplan.it starts from 3 years.:sad:
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:24 PM   #7

You are thinking aout £60 to cover a £250 camera beyond the first year. Would you gamble £60 to win £250 in a betting shop?

Bargepoles spring to mind.

If nothing happens in the 1st year, it will probably go on forever. And if it should pass away in 18 months? What is the 2nd hand value at that point and what if you still had the £60 in the bank to put toward the P300 or P400 or whatever?

Your household insurance probably covers accidental damage anyway.

I don't bother with these deals. It is a well known fact that Dixons makes MORE MONEY selling them than they do from merchandise. If you question that get the Dixons annual report (I'm guessing it's in there) otherwise do some research - it hit the national press a few months ago.
ukcameraman is offline   Reply With Quote