Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:36 PM   #1

Have just purchased the V3 and am confused about which memory stick to buy (decided to go with Sony's own, at least for now). Now what I need to know-- is the High Speed Pro (MSX-1GN) significantly different in performance from the "Pro" that is not labelled "High Speed" (MSX-1GS). Looking at the 1 GB versions there is a significant difference in the price. Just want to know if write times are much faster with the more expensive version.

Thanks!
Chauncey
Chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:15 PM   #2

The pro is necessary to capture video at its highest quality setting. For everyday shooting, I doubt that you'll notice a difference in capture performance between the 2 sticks. BTW, I use Sandisk memory sticks, and by all accounts perform as well as, if not better than Sony's own sticks, and are much cheaper. I got a 512mb for around $60, and 1gb can be found for around $100.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:15 PM   #3

Thank you. You have always been helpful! I did find a Sony 1 GB Memory Stick Pro for $107.55 at NewEgg so went ahead with that. Now to put everything together and get started taking pictures...

Chauncey
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:39 AM   #4

Chauncey,

I should have jumped on that deal when you first posted this. I couldn't believe a 1 gig stick of Pro (Sony branded, no less) going for a little more than $100, but it was there at the same $107. Now it's out of stock and listed for $115. The early bird gets the worm! Congratz...

Like you, I'm still wondering if the N-Speed MS will give any speed boost to the V3. Maybe some firmware magic is in the works, but we can dream. They are probably gearing up for a new round of digi-cams or multimedia handhelds.

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:34 PM   #5

Well I found that Newegg deal on the 1 GB Sony memorystick was out of stock when I went to order it, too--but I was notified almost immediately that it was back IN stock and I jumped on it last Monday at $107.55. It arrived in 3 days shipped clear across the country. So keep checking their site! Can't beat the price at this time, even at $115.

Chauncey:bye:
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:21 AM   #6

NewEgg is a great online store. They ship from CA and NJ, so it's often quick too.

Another place to check is Outpost - e.g.http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4336185
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:42 PM   #7

buzzy wrote:
Quote:
NewEgg is a great online store. They ship from CA and NJ, so it's often quick too.

Another place to check is Outpost - e.g.http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4336185

Update: Oupost now has these for $89.99

Thanks for posting the link.

yelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:21 AM   #8

buzzy wrote:
Quote:

In my country, Brazil this same MS cost more less US$ 350,00... 89,99? Incredible!

:evil:
lipschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:11 PM   #9

Be careful. There are two different types of Memory Stick Pros out there!

The Newegg one is MSX-1GS! Which is the 15MBps card.

Thereis also the MSX-1GN one is is 80MBps.

Check to make sure which one your device can handle.

:idea:
odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:17 PM   #10

Not sure whatyou mean by sayingbe careful. 15mbps is fine for most people, few need to pay to get 80mpbs High Speed -that's the whole point of this thread.

Though it might be worth comparing the price difference.

It does seem like some vendors might be listing something as High Speed, but the actual product is just the regular Pro. Maybe that's what you mean. Certainly if you're paying for a High Speed, make sure you're getting that.

For example, this NewEgg listing says High Speed in the title, but 15mbps in the description:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...232&depa=0
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote