Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:56 PM   #1

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from my old Olympus C220 zoom.

I have been very impressed with my dad's old Sony - great image quality, build quality, good features, great menus - all from a 3 or 4 year old 2MP camera!

Anyway, I am after something that will be a good point and shoot camera, but that will also let me take full control over the picture if I want (aperture, exposure, that sort of thing).

I've been looking at the Sonys around at the moment, but I'm getting confused by the naming.

I quite liked the P150, which has just been replaced by the P200, but I recently discovered the W5, which I prefer the look of. This is going to be replaced any day now by the W7 I think.

So, what is the difference between the P range and the W range - do they have different markets? Is one better than the other?

My budget is 300-350ukp (about $600) but would be good if I could keep it under 300 quid.

Thanks!
Martin.
MartinAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:30 PM   #2

The only real difference in the W and P series cameras is the shape of the camera and the size of the LCD. The new W series will also come with 32MB of built in memory if that makes any differenceto you. I have never used the W7 yet, but I'm guessing the photo quality will be identical to the P200 since it uses the same lens and CCD.

Neither the P or W series have full manual settings, they give you a choice of many different shutter speeds and a choice of only a wide or narrow aperture. If you are looking for a little more advanced camera, check out the V3 which costs between US$550 and US$600.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:03 AM   #3

The other difference is that you can use AA rechargeables in the W series. To me that's less important than it once was, now that battery life seems long enough to get through even a long day. But some people prefer it, it can give more options. But it's part of why the W series is bigger.

The form factor is different not just in the shape and size, but in the size of the dials and controlstoo. Different strokes ...

The W5 isn't being replaced by the W7 - they were both just announced a month or so back. One is the 5MP version, one is the 7MP version.

buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:29 AM   #4

Thanks, that clears a lot up!

So, what else should I be looking at that compares with the W5/7 (maybe I'm asking in the wrong forum :lol.

My better half bought a Canon A70 a year or so ago which seems to be totally manually controllable - does the W5/7 allow the same degree of control? Or should I be looking at an A95?

Part of me wants a camera that I can really play with, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus, the lot, whilst the other part wonders if I'll ever use it!

Above all it has to take good point and shoot snaps, I have got sick of my Olympus C220z as everything I take without flash has shake on it (it seems to use huge shutter times) - it's not me as I take good pictures with my missus' Canon and my Dad's old Sony...

Any and all advice appreciated.
MartinAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:20 AM   #5

Maybe you can take a look at Steve's top cameraslist in your favorite catagory.
2lexq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:47 PM   #6

Part of me wants a camera that I can really play with, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus, the lot, whilst the other part wonders if I'll ever use it!

Above all it has to take good point and shoot snaps

If you read the reviews at Steves-digicams, megapixel.net and dcresource, you'll find that The W and P series fit the mostly P&S market, while the A95 adds more control, at the expense of size.

W7 (and W5/W1)offers the largest LCD and AA battery usage. P200 offers portability. Both have virtually the same optics and sensors, and slight differences in UI/controls.

Think aboutthe few situations you think will arise outside of the usual quick P&S situation and decide what you want - something smaller that's always handy and ready to shoot, or something which you can control and adjust after analyzing the situation...

:|
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:59 PM   #7

I have to say that I disagree that the P-series and W-series are the same. Last year when the P100 had come out, I bought it took 300 pictures and returned it for the W1 (which was supposed to be the same) took a few hundred pictures and found the W1 much better in picture quality. And as someone else mentioned the W series take AA batteries. That's a plus for me. I would choose the W7 over the P200. The P200 however fits very nicely in your hand and it has a window that covers the LCD, the W-series don't have this protective cover over the LCD, you get finger prints on it very easily!!! The W-series have much larger screens, a BIG plus!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:31 PM   #8

kski wrote:
Quote:
I have to say that I disagree that the P-series and W-series are the same. Last year when the P100 had come out, I bought it took 300 pictures and returned it for the W1 (which was supposed to be the same) took a few hundred pictures and found the W1 much better in picture quality. And as someone else mentioned the W series take AA batteries. That's a plus for me. I would choose the W7 over the P200. The P200 however fits very nicely in your hand and it has a window that covers the LCD, the W-series don't have this protective cover over the LCD, you get finger prints on it very easily!!! The W-series have much larger screens, a BIG plus!
Well, I will have to disagree with this 100%. I have a P100 that I've taken thousands of photos with under all different conditions and have always found that the exposure has always been accurate and have never had any poor photos. The W1 is also a great camera, but I don't like the flash placement because it causes much more red-eye and dust orbs to show up in the photos.

Here's a photo taken with my P100 at a club with the flash being pretty much the only available light. If you look closely you'll notice someone looking confused, probably trying to figure out why they can't get good photos with their T1.. LOL!!!
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:49 PM   #9

So the W5/W7 is better in a sense. The flash is redesigned and the burst is quick.

W7 is the way that sony says ''im sorry for that silly little flash''.

:roll:
2lexq is offline   Reply With Quote