Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:58 AM   #11

Nocontact, I think that 1/400 of a second is too dark without a flash, unless you have lots of sunlight coming in and your house is really really bright.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:00 PM   #12

Yeah, I figured as much, I just wanted to see if there was some setting I could adjust to get it to fly.
I was trying to photograph a dog indoors the other day and it was fine with the flash even when he moved his head but for some reason the area around him was almost pitch black. Very odd.
Nocontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:32 PM   #13

That's true, I noticed the same thing, the background goes darker, but I love that effect because the focus is on the object only. The background goes dark because the f-stop goes higher and that makes the area of focus smaller.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:20 PM   #14

After trial & error I seem to be using 1/80 to 1/125 for indoor flash pictures, any more and you need to bump up the ISO to somewhat compensate for the quick shutter. (ie: dark background)

Although I really don't have many problems with 1/40 which the camera in AUTO mode seems to prefer. (which I believe is the #1 reason for the unwanted blur some people have)

Or if you want more "ambiance" you can slow down the shutter even more, but you'll need a tripod or table.
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:40 AM   #15
Administrator

Pic-It wrote:
Quote:
After trial & error I seem to be using 1/80 to 1/125 for indoor flash pictures, any more and you need to bump up the ISO to somewhat compensate for the quick shutter. (ie: dark background)

Although I really don't have many problems with 1/40 which the camera in AUTO mode seems to prefer. (which I believe is the #1 reason for the unwanted blur some people have)

Or if you want more "ambiance" you can slow down the shutter even more, but you'll need a tripod or table.
It depends on how much light you have.

In most indoor environments (i.e., what the human eye perceives as a well lit interior), ambient light is too low to expose your subject using a shutter speed of 1/40 second at lower ISO speed settings.

As a result, the flash itself has the impact of freezing the action (since the subject is only exposed properly for the flash burst duration, which is typically 1/1000 second or faster).

I've got a little Konica KD-510z that I take with me everywherein my pants pocket,and I prefer to shoot most of my flash photos with a shutter speed of 1/30 second, even though this model gives me a choice of what shutter speed the camera will use with flash and autoexposure (1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125). It defaults to 1/60 with flash from the factory.

This way (shooting at slower shutter speeds), you pick up a little more ambient light.

The only time I get in trouble trying to shoot at 1/30 second or slower is when there is a lot of light coming in through windows during the daytime. Then, you can get some ambient light exposure of your subject, resulting in motion blur.

Heck, I sometimes use 1/15 second with flash in darker surroundings (for example, restaurants and clubs at night), with no perceptable motion blur from either camera shake or subject movement.

So, if I had a model that used 1/40 second shutter speed, I'd consider that to be just about right for the vast majority of conditions that I would be using a flash.

Here's an example of how flash can freeze action at slower shutter speeds in darker surroundings -- 1/15 second, ISO 200, f/2.8 with flash (and BTW, there was a lit chandelier over the dance floor, but it did not provide enough ambient light to cause any motion blur):
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:42 AM   #16
Administrator

Lighting over the dance floor:

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote