Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:44 PM   #1

Can someone tell me what is the best setting to use if I am taking pictures of my daughters dance recital? It is in a darkened, stage lit auditorium. Also is it possible to do this without a tripod?
gjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:57 PM   #2

I think the best setting would be "P" mode with the flash set to high power, ISO200 and the focus set to 3M or whatever the distance will be between the camera and what you are taking a picture of. These are the settings I use in fairly dark clubs/parties without a tripod and always get excellent results.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:06 PM   #3

You can set it on night shot but you need a tripod or if you could rest it on a ledge or book or table or something steady. Can you use a flash? It would be good to use a flash and the night shot. Or you can put the ISO level to 400 ISO, that might give you some noise though. Play with those settings at home with little light on. That's the best way to know your camera.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:41 PM   #4

The only way the night mode would be good is if you are taking photos of completely still objects, the shutter speed would be way too slow and would blur any moving objects caught in ambient light. Also, when using night mode, the ISO is locked on auto.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:05 AM   #5

Not if you use the flash! If you set it to night mode and use the flash, your subject will be clear and so will the background.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:57 AM   #6

That is totally untrue, the slow shutter speed will blur any moving object in ambient light. The only way the flash would freeze the action is if there is absolutely no ambient light at all...