Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:15 PM   #1

Two things concern me about the P200 - the 1st is taken from imaging-resource.com's review of the P200 - notably, the P200 seems to pick up LESS details than the P150. I have also read (and experienced) MORE red-eye with the P200 than the P150...To those who have used both, which camera is better???
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:10 AM   #2

I don't claim to have experience of the P150, but the review on imaging-resouce commented that the difference on detailyou have cited here was virtually indiscernable to the inexperienced eye.

I have experienced very little red eye issues with the P200.

Here for your viewing pleasure is a shot taken at the zoo yesterday with our P200 in Auto mode with the flash off.
Attached Images

Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:16 AM   #3

Thanks Gabby for your reassuring words and INCREDIBLE PICTURE (it's worth 1000 + words ). I experienced Really Bad Red-Eye but it was at a kid's birthday party and some of the kids were Really Fair with Blue Eyes. My kids are half Asian so I had not gotten red-eye with the P200 previous to this party (I got a ton with the W1). If I am shooting those same kids in her class, I'll have to remind myself to use the Red-Eye Reduction Flash. Correct me if I'm wrong but using that slows down the shutter speed quite a bit? I can also remove them afterwards which is what I did.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:33 AM   #4

Thanks, glad you like the photo - I think maybe it's actually a bit out of focus but again I'm still learning. Shows off how it deals with colours though.

Re RED EYE: Mydaughter has v. blue eyes, and so far red eye has been only a minor problem even with red-eye reduction turned off. With red-eye reduction on it's been virtually non-existent.

I am in a fortunate position that the Mrs is a very goodretouch artist, so admittedly red-eye gets removed later if it does crop up (along with spots, cuts, wispy hairs, removal and replacement of heads :-)etc!).

And before you ask, NO the photo above has not been tinkered with in any way apart from a bit of cropping.

Here, have another...! (Auto again, no flash, but a lot of reflection from the glass - I've no plans to take photos of lions INSIDE their enclosures just yet. Also a bit blurry I think - maybe it was focussing on the glass?)
Attached Images

Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:15 AM   #5

Does anyone have/used BOTH of them ???
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:33 AM   #6

I have used both of them. I believe that it is all up to how you enjoy and perceive the pictures to be. There is nothing wrong with either of them, and I wouldn't get depressed or feel bad about your decision based on one single review online which I found to not be very trustworthy. I highly doubt that he used a tri-pod to take those pictures of his wife and if he did, she must have been moving to come out as blurry as she did. I can show you [pictures which I have taken myself of friends about the same distance without a tri-pod which have come out much sharper and clearer. All I can say is you have to take a look at these things yourself and stop worrying about if you made the right decision buying your camera. If you waited another six months, perhaps a better camera comes along. However you would have lost six months of taking great pictures of your family and events with a new camera. Some people like the button layout of the P150 better; others had problems with the P150's layout because the power button would become pressed accidentally in the bag. This was fixed, at the expense of that it is a little harder to press the power button. If I have to say anything, I have taken great pictures with both camera's and my friend still has the P150 at home and has also bought a P200 because he wanted to give one of them to his sister as a gift. After one week, he is deciding to give his sister the P150 because he likes the manual white balance feature and the feel of the camera. People have argued that both the cameras are pretty much the same and so forth when they are built very differently inside and out. The outcome is you get slightly different tones of color however quality is very similar if not better with the P200 in my eyes. My friend is coming up with the same conclusions and is choosing to keep the newer model as well.

Kimnicho, a word of advice. Use the forum to ask questions of how to improve your picture taking instead of trying to make yourself feel better by having other people tell you that you have an excellent camera. Let me reassure you that you have a marvelous peace of machinery that one and a half years ago would have been worth over a thousand dollars compared to the cameras of the day. And two years ago, it would have rivaled some of the higher end SLR-types in image quality. I hope this helps. Take care and please post some pictures that you liked. I'll do the same once I get around to resizing them which will be soon.
Attached Images

kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:44 AM   #7

This is a crop that has also been downsized to 640*480. You can still see the facial detail better. This image was taken with the P200 in almost total darkness without a tri-pod and using the lcd screen with auto settings.
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:52 AM   #8

this is a crop of the original file size to fit it under 240kbs. THis is original quality.
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:17 PM   #9

For 2 softwares I use, it wouldnt make any difference which software I use to maintain the camera quality. But it would make a tiny differnce.

Any of the forum compared the original and the software save as copy?

And why are there vs between P150 & P200?

The P200 is the successor. Plain simple.

Sony changed its noise around pixels or affecting it. That's so minor when going to software. The flash I read is shorter range. That's strange. But makes you work getting closer.

Why this insecure stuff? Just get the camera you love or try it out a few days. Test it,

Maybe sony is losingprofit with parts for the P150.

TheP200 is farly improved w/metering and AF.Some don't get a camera at the right time.

The only reviewer that you should trust is yourself. And not think it's or not better than another. Another company but not in the same company. :evil:

I never heard any rumors yet on a P255 with steady shot. Now that would rule. :?
2lexq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:20 PM   #10

You guys are right - I need to stop second-guessing my camera decision and start taking pictures ! Here is a portrait taken with Manual with 1/60, F/2.8, ISO 100. I love the details but should I be able to distinguish her dark hair from the dark background?
http://www.pbase.com/image/41131289.jpg