Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:50 PM   #1
sdh

Anyone care to speculate on whetherSony recalibrated the noise-suppression behavior in the new W5, in response to the many comments that the W1 produces unnecessarily soft images?

cheers,

-steve
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:14 PM   #2

hello steve.

recently i've bought a W5. Before this one, I had a P73.

Well, i'm not a pro, but i noticed hard compression problems with w5 too... I don't really know the imagequality of the W1 as well, but, sincerelly, sometimes i think that my P73 has better image, even with sony lenses (W1 and W5 has Zeiss optical).Furthermore,I think that my W5 have some problems relatedwith dust in CCD, like deadpixels. This is easier to note in pictures taken with large exposure times.

Hugs,

Felipe.
fkuhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:03 PM   #3

Why can't we send this forum directly to Sony "Contact Us" and see their answer. Because I am in the process of buying any of the W5, W7 or P150 or P200 or totaly go to Canon.
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:42 PM   #4

You guys may hate me BUT…. Buy the Canon. A friend of mine bought the W1. I was crazy about the size of the LCD, I know LCD Envy. I liked everything about the camera the size, how it felt, how it handled, where the controls were, the Carl Zeiss Lens. I was even able to find one in black. So I bought it! I could go on and on praising the camera except for one thing --- The indoor pictures SUCK!!!! I looked at my old pictures that I took with the Canon S300 and there simply was no comparison. The canon took incredible pictures. I took the Sony on a ski vacation – 80% of the indoor pictures were junk. They were either blurred or out of focus!! I can't ever get those shots back.

I have studied another SONY forum and followed their suggestions for Manual Mode, changing the shutter speed, trying different Auto Focus Modes. I was just at a banquet that for years has been black tie affair. They decided to have a theme this year of Animal House and to wear toga's or costumes from the movie. I can't believe how creative everybody was, again I lost at least 15 pictures out of the 90 or so I took. You can never go back. The problem here was the camera focused too slowly and the flash recycled too slow. Again Blurred pictures, out of focus or too dark. The flash only seems to be good from 3 to 5 feet!

Another draw back is the Memory Sticks are expensive! I know they have come down but in December my 1Gig Sandisk Extreme was $200.00, double of any other memory cards at that time.

I have tried everything to get this camera to work; I really want it to work. The camera that I am looking at is the SD500 and in all honesty that control layout is awkward. The Zoom Feature is hard to operate and the camera is too small in my opinion and I don't want to spend more money BUT, there are situations where you just can't go back!

BUY THE CANON! I am off my soap box and I sincerely hope I have not offended anyone!

rboetger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 6:39 PM   #5

What type of focusing did you use? I have no problems with having blurry pictures. Or I don't use a flash in a dark situation, but the the pictures THAT were sharp, were terrific.
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:56 PM   #6

Shoot in M (Manual) Mode

The AF auto assist lamp ON

Shutter Speed 1/80

ISO Auto
Monitoring AF mode

Centering AF

Quality Set to "FINE"

Flash Level +

all other settings on default

Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:59 PM   #7

I forgot Red Eye is real bad with this camera. My Canon was much better.

NOTE: Pictures outside in natural light are extremely good. The problem is strictly with flash pictures.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!! I really want this camera to work!

Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:29 PM   #8

I had the W1, but I'm assuming they are the same. I had the same problem with indoor photos, and posted on several boards about my blurry photos. The conclusion from what people said was that my hands were shaking when I took the photos.

The only two fixes I know of for that is to use the self-timer and try to hold still or up the ISO setting (though you'll get more noise). Or you can use a tripod. Others can suggest alternatives.

fakemark is offline   Reply With Quote