Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:50 PM   #1

I've been comparing the Sony W1 and W5 for a few days now and again not too much has changed between these two cameras. The shape of the flash has changed some and it looks like the W5 has a little more even flash area as the W1 flash lights the center more. I haven't done too many tests for red-eye, but it seems like the W5 causes slightly less red-eye. The photo quality between the two are also very similar but it seems like the W5 has more agressive noise reduction with slightly softer, less noisy images at higher ISO.(Which is also the case in the P200 compared to the P150)

I like the memory stick door a little bit better on the W1. now on the W5 the memory stick goes under the battery door. The internal memory on the W5 is good for emergency storage or if you forget to bring your memory stick, but doesn't add to the storage capacity as the memory stick must be removed in order to use the internal memory. It looks like Sony did away with the DC input on the W5 and now make an AC adapter that inserts in where the batteries go.(Dumb in my opinion)

The one thing I am VERY glad Sony did is keep everything in the same place and keep the cameras the same size which means you can use the samelenses, adapters and even the marine pack between the two cameras. (Which was not the case between the P150 and P200!)
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:42 PM   #2

At a circuit city I found how the w5 feels.(better)

The slot at the bottom I realized was badwhen usingtripods too.

The flash is more smoother all around I see. But the monitor built in , in each could manipulate the brightness.

So the W5 is updated. Not so much different. Just little bits of moving and changing parts.
2lexq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:08 PM   #3

Cybershotnut-Not to complicate things too much, but how does the W1/W5 compare to the V1? Which one do you think would have the "best" image quality?
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:51 AM   #4

The V1 is older and performs a little slower, but has a much better lens and many more features. I would take the V1 over the W1/W5 anyday if I had the choice of only one to keep.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:26 PM   #5

Well, after about 100 more photos taken with the W5, I still see major red eye in many of the pictures taken of people even with the red eye reduction turned on. I think the "W" series camers are designed well and the image quality is very good, but my only complaint is that the flash is just too close to the lens.

Comparing the W1 and W5 LCDs side by side, even though the W5 LCDhas8,000 less pixelsit seems like the LCD on the W5 is clearer and the colors are more accurate, but has much more glare than the W1.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:21 AM   #6

CyberShotNut, I was just wondering .... would the use of the External flash (HVL-FSL1B ) help any to reduce / eliminate the red eye problem? Since the flash will then be positioned slightly away as was the way you would have liked, will it help?

Asked as I wanted to know if it would be worth shelling out theextra couple of dollars.

Thanks & Cheers!
Paparasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:37 PM   #7

The external flash will improve the lighting in a large room and make the lighting more even but it won't help much with redeye because the built in flash will still fire.