Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:39 PM   #11

travlnman wrote:
Quote:
I adjust the manual focus to include a wide range of focus( infinity ?). I am not being critical of your photo, but seem to notice the same lack of sharpness in it. Is that normal or are my eyes just going bad? Comment on this and give me any advice you might have. My friend shoots basketball and prints on location and doesn't seem to have a problem.
That picture is way soft and I know it.... It is a huge crop. I should have used a
better pic but I knew where that one was. It is also been optimized for email.

First off.... If I understand what you are doing. You can't use inf. if it's not called
for. If it's within the focus range, you (manually) or AF must focus or you'll get a
blurry pic. Infinity is only for stuff in... Well... infinity... The very far. On the 717 the
AF is too slow to wait for the play. I focus (man or AF) before the play. I hold the
switch half way down (AF HOLD). When and if the play happens I push the rest of
the way down. This is standard on all digi cams as far as I know.

When I said "use manual" I mean to go the "M" on the Mode dial. There you can
change the settings for shutter and F stops. The point being that even if you don't
know a thing you can see what effect you've made on the LCD before the shot,
unlike SLR or dSLRs where you find out later. Also because you don't have too print
them you can make lots of practice shots before hand. You have to come up with a
combination with a fast enough shutter to stop the play. My 717 is terrible at this for
indoor stuff but I have heard the 828 is much better. I'm sure that there is some
person here who will jump in and give you 828 advise on this. All of who know this
stuff better then me. I do use the remote switch from Sony to keep me from jerking
the camera and a tripod or monopod. All the time.

I'd rather have a Canon Rebel XT. Since I'm wishing, make that a 20D.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:31 PM   #12

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
That picture is way soft and I know it.... It is a huge crop. I should have used a
better pic but I knew where that one was. It is also been optimized for email.
Here's the org. Downsized of course and condensed a little. But it's here too show the crop

dale
Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote