Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 26, 2005, 3:39 PM   #1

Hi all...

I have a couple of questions on the settings I should be using to shot "action shots". Here is what I have done.

ISO 100
F2.0
NR100+

But when I put the NR at 100+ I have to kick up the F and for some reason the shots are looking washed out. If I kick the NR down to say 10-13 then the camera is to slow but the lighting is good. I have also messed with the ISO but it doesn't seem quite right when the pictures come out.

I have also noticed that some of my out door shots seem to have a blue tint to them....

Thanks for your help... And as you might expect I am new to photography.....

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 3:58 PM   #2

You don't indicate what shutter speed ypu are operating with? For action shots, that is the most important variable.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:21 PM   #3

Hmmm....

On the F717 which number would that be??

F-2.0

-1.7EV

Shutter speed on the F717 is the NR Number I believe.....

Is that number you are refering to???

Thanks again
R~

Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:01 AM   #4

If your shutter speed settings say "NR" it means the noise reduction is activated and any shutter speed that slow should be used with a tripod and still objects. The key to action shots is alot of light with a fast shutter speed.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:55 AM   #5

Hello...

Thanks for the reply... I have it set where the shutter speed is set to 100,200,300 but the picture gets really dark and when I put the F setting to it's lowest mark to lighten the picture it only goes to F2.0 the picture is still too dark...... I have increased the ISO but the noise is getting out of control... Is there anything else I should be looking at... I have been using the "M" setting...

R~
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6

You're on the right track, action shots always need alot of light so you can set the shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action. I'm not sure what you are trying to take photos of, but if it is indoors you may want to look into getting a more powerful external flash.

I have used many different Sony cameras and after 2 years, I still prefer my F717 over any of the other models I have tried.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:37 PM   #7

Thanks again for the reply....

I have tried using the flash on quite a few shots it just seems like it is pretty slow... Sometimes I can catch the action, sometimes I miss it.... Can you recommend a good flash for the Sony F717.... Don't get me wrong I love my sony.. I have purchased the sony wide/tele/micro lens for my camera... Love it!!!

I am taking football and baseball shots....

Thanks again.....for your help...

R~
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:25 PM   #8

I'm not sure a flash won't get you in trouble at a game. Some coach, or worse yet a mom, will say you interfered with the game. If it'stoo cloudy i just put it away and shoot video. If it's just a little cloudy i go for the best shot even if it's a little dark and "Fix it" at home on the PC. BTW You may find that the "Equalization Tool" and "Gama Control" are better then going for the brightness control.

I take alot of Softball pics and i find the best way to get great shots is to smooze both coaches. Then you can get in close. One pic of the other coach's kid speaks a thousand words. I also give every kid on my daughter's team at least one 8x10 and all the pics on disk. Parents love it, and i love doing it.

This is anDSC F717 pic. Cropped. Also reduced for email. I always use a tripod or mono pod and the Sony remote switch. Set-up before the play with the shutter switch half way down so AF will be set. When the play happens just push the rest of the way down... If you use a tripod you even get to watch the game instead of have your face looking at the camera. Yes i do forget too take the picture sometimes because i'm wrapped up in the game.
Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:22 PM   #9

If you are shooting during the day, a flash will not stop the blur in most cases. A flash will only stop blur 100% if you are shooting in a dark room. What a good flash will do is to fill the shadows. On a sunny day you should be able to set the camera at 1/500 at 5.6 manually. That should stop most action.
pingree35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:13 AM   #10

Hi thatsanicepicture2 !

I just registered for this forum and have a question and comment on your picture titled itaintstealingifitbelongstoyou.jpg. I am shooting with a Sony DSC F828. I shoot lots of high school sports as well as scenics. On the advise of a friend who is highly experienced with a F717, I shoot sports in manual mode. My problem seems to be a lack of sharpness in the photos. I adjust the manual focus to include a wide range of focus( infinity ?). I am not being critical of your photo, but seem to notice the same lack of sharpness in it. Is that normal or are my eyes just going bad? Comment on this and give me any advice you might have. My friend shoots basketball and prints on location and doesn't seem to have a problem. I am getting ready to leave on vacation and don't want to mess up all my pics. I am going to do some tests comparing manual and auto focus. I always shoot with a monopod for stability. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !
travlnman is offline   Reply With Quote