Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:49 AM   #21

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I think Sony is being prudent by taking their time. The prosumer market is going to a very tough market.
Today GM announced that it will no longer make small cars because Toyotas are much better.... Naw... Just kidding... And Sony doesn't give customers away either. Don't forget they are the guys that put 8mp in the under 1000 bucks club. I just want to know who is the reliable source that said the F828 is out of production.... Because if it is, and it may be, there will be a camera replacement filingl that spot. I would think that the prosumer market may well be DSLR's in the future. If so, Sony better get there because i hear a Rebel XT calling my name. If not, then duke is right... Sony is going downhill fast.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:52 PM   #22

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
The F828 is no longer being made, they will still sell until stock runs out.
CyberShotNut...

I want it to be true but who said it ???
I have not heard of any new cameras that will replace the F828 (or the V3 for that matter) and I got the information on all the models I stated no longer in production about a month ago from Joe Bartone who is the lead customer service manager at the Sony repair center in San Jose, California who is the most knowlegeable person I have ever spoken with in the USA working for Sony.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:25 PM   #23

I think Sony corp in general has been going down hill , maybe not so much the camera div., but I've read in the papers where Samsung is now what Sony used to be , probably refering more to TVs and monitors etc. Many other articles where Sony is in a big stuggle now. I don't think a replacement for the F828 is a top priority for Sony right now.... like someone said earlier it's all about money and I'm sure the money is in different areas . I hope Sony gets it turned around.... maybe the new CEO can do just that.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:38 PM   #24

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
I have not heard of any new cameras that will replace the F828 (or the V3 for that matter) and I got the information on all the models I stated no longer in production about a month ago from Joe Bartone who is the lead customer service manager at the Sony repair center in San Jose, California who is the most knowlegeable person I have ever spoken with in the USA working for Sony.
CSN

Thanks for the reply... You have to admit that it's hard to believe that Sony is giving away anything in any market. The picture of the 939 (elsewhere in this forum) looks like a fake to me. The DSLR is the "REAL" prosumer anyway. That Rebel XT is looking mighty good.

Thanks Again
dale
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:45 PM   #25

Why replace Stuff just because a new model comes out?. :OI always tell people what u buy the product for?:idea:. Does it still do the job that u require it to do?:shock:, if yes dont upgrade if u buy something then find a requiriment is missing then is the cost to requirement ratio good or bad if bad wait, why bother as even pro cameras have there shortfalls when put to the requirements that a pro wants out of it. Just be Happy
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:50 PM   #26

Dangerous Brian wrote:
Quote:
Why replace Stuff just because a new model comes out?.
Hi D B

Actualy I've had my 717 since they came out and i am looking to up-grade. That should be OK? I'm allowed. I would go to a dSLR but i think there is a spot that the digi pics mfgs are missing. That is the larger format APS-C chip. An f828 type camera with the bigger chip would be very nice because it would allow the swivel lense with on screen composition. I think it's funny that the dSLR people say the view screen is no good but then they check the picture they just took with the view screen. LOL... They could have checked it before they took the picture if they got rid of the mirror and prism.
But Dukespoint is that some guys are getting left out on accessaries and stuff.And he'sright... It a tough world out there in the digi pic biz. But sony is one of the leaders. So i hope they lead.

dale
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:23 AM   #27

Quote:
My only complaint (which is a big one!) is that Sony discontinues the accessories for the cameras way too quickly!VAD-PEA lens adapter for P92: Discontinued and unavailable. MPK-PHB marine pack for P100/P150, already discontinued and unavailable from Sony! That very much annoys me, there should be some kind of law that parts and accessories remain available for at least a year after the product is discontinued!

I bought the V3 from Best Buy for $467 last month!Saleprice was $580 or so at Best Buy, and it was $499 at compusa, so Best Buy matched the price plus 10% the difference!

Now because Sony only wants you to use Sony products, its sometimes hard to find tons of good accessories for them, and cause V3 is on its way out, the V3 accessories are too! I already bought the Sony wide lense and F32X flash for it!
GVales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:54 AM   #28

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I think Sony is being prudent by taking their time. The prosumer market is going to a very tough market. DSLR's are now falling into the prosumer price range. Canon's original Rebel is now cheaper than most high end prosumers, and Nikon will be introducing the N50 in the future. DSLR's give so much more flexibility, I can't see the prosumer market being very strong if you can get a full featured DSLR for the same price.
Aha, one more person who thinks that choosing a camera is a price comparison. That assumes that people -want- a DSLR and only buy "prosumers" because they can't afford the "real thing". (Though it's only fair to note that you pointed out "flexibility" as well).

I'm a professional photographer who has owned many DSLRs (and rangefinders before them) and I want to state unequivocally for the record: IDONTWANT an SLR even if it's cheaper than a Sony prosumer.

Why? Because I want to take advantage of this digital revolution (I'm also a reasonably well-known software developer). I WANT to preview my pictures before I take them. I WANT to see exactly what the CCD will record, not the light coming through the lens. IDONT WANTto have to do my camera settings in an LCD that's impossible to see in daylight. I WANT to see a live histogram in my viewfinder. I WANT an EVF!.

I DONT WANT to carry multiple cameras when I'm shooting sports (it's the only way to go from distant to close without changing lenses - an impossible pain when shooting, for example, a bicycle race). I DONT WANT to carry three lenses costing me $5000 every time I walk away from my car.

I DONT WANT to have to check my white balance -after- I take my picture.

I WANT my incredibly crisp ZEISS lens, not some cheap Sigma zoom. I WANT to pay attention to the shot, not the camera.

And I sure as heck don't want a plastic body, even if it is state-of-the-art composite! :-)

As for flexibility, I spent years chasing the "perfect glass" with my film DSLRs and found that that was, ultimately, way too much flexibility for me. On the other hand, the f828 has virtually everything I want and need in a camera, except, perhaps for Image Stabilization on low-light telephoto.

The f828 is not perfect. It's high-ISO and CA issues are well known. However, fix these few minor problemswith the f828 and add IS and I'm the happiest photographer in town.

I'm a bit baffled by the sudden devotion to SLRs. They were a fix-up for a film-camera problem: the synchronization of the rangefinder to the lens. Surely viewing through the lens is better than viewing through a smaller, much lower-quality rangefinder. However, seeing the CCD itself is like looking at developed film before you take the picture. It is -truly- digital, not a film work-around.

Perhaps we need a new kind of camera - with an electronic viewfinder and removable lenses. Who knows? All I know is that no one is going to sell me on a DSLR again after wrestling with them for many years.

Check out my F828 results at http://www.luminouseye.com

AAK

aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:51 AM   #29

aakalan wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I think Sony is being prudent by taking their time. The prosumer market is going to a very tough market. DSLR's are now falling into the prosumer price range. Canon's original Rebel is now cheaper than most high end prosumers, and Nikon will be introducing the N50 in the future. DSLR's give so much more flexibility, I can't see the prosumer market being very strong if you can get a full featured DSLR for the same price.
Aha, one more person who thinks that choosing a camera is a price comparison. That assumes that people -want- a DSLR and only buy "prosumers" because they can't afford the "real thing". (Though it's only fair to note that you pointed out "flexibility" as well).
I'm not assuming anything. I was simply commenting on the changing marketplace. As technology improves, and prices continue to fall, I believe the market will shift to DSLR.You have done a nice job pointing out all of the advantages of a prosumer camera, and why a market for them should exist.I'm not debating the merits of prosumers vs DSLR's. Both camera's have strengths. However, look at the film camera market. There is no prosumer point and shoot market. The prosumer market is in fact lower end SLR's. I think it is logical for the Digital market to go in the same direction.

In terms of choosing camera'a for price, how can one not consider price when purchasing an item??? People tend to spend what they can afford, even if they don't intend to use all of the features they are buying. I'd be willing to bet the average consumer has more camera than they need. I never stated prosumers weren't "the real thing". In fact I own a prosumer (The DSC-V3) and not a DSLR. I think most people have the perception that DSLR's are better camera's since that is what they see the pro's shooting. Because of this perception, I think the average (not you or I) person will select a DSLR over a prosumer if both are available at the same price point.

Here is what I WANT. I want the best of both worlds.....a prosumer and a DSLR.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:37 AM   #30

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I'm not assuming anything.
Here is what I WANT. I want the best of both worlds.....
a prosumer and a DSLR.
Hey... Now we're talk'n.

I think we all agree. There is a place for a camera that has digi-cam ease and digi
cam on screen composition. But to be an improvement, it will have to have the next
size up cmos sensor.

It is a fact that an 8 mp dSLR image sensor will produce a better faster image with
more light then an 8 mp digi-cam sensor. The pixels are bigger and that means more light.

Hey aakalan... Would you still recommend an f828 knowing it's been discontinued and
new cam might be coming. I'm still thinking about it but I don't want to jump in and for a few bucks more I could have had the next in line from Sony. (If there is one?)
I started with a F505 then a F707 and now the F717. I would like to skip just one and
save some money.

But I think Duke still has a point. Sony is supposed to be the leader.
So I ask... Where is this new camera? Sony... Sony... Where are you???

MHO
dale

PS... Canon.... Hello Canon.... Rip the the prisms and mirror out of theRebek XT and
put on the swivel screen from yourdigi-cam. I'll be there for ya.