Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:47 PM   #31

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Here is what I WANT. I want the best of both worlds.....a prosumer and a DSLR.
Ohmigod... Someones been read'n my mind!
Anybody catch "Steves" "Breaking News" item...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#jump
I wonder if Sony read it... Or Canon. Gosh i wish it wasn't a Samsung!
It says:
Samsung Digimax Pro 815 SLR-like digital camera that was just shown at a photo fair in Beijing China. A few features standout like a 28-420mm 15x optical zoom with manual control rings, a 2/3-inch size 8-megapixel image sensor and a really big 3.5-inch color LCD screen. Follow the link above for more information about this camera.

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:45 AM   #32

>>Hey aakalan... Would you still recommend an f828 knowing it's been discontinued and new cam might be coming.

Depends. If you need higher resolution and the advanced focus, performance of the f828 -immediately- buy now! Probably is the best price you'll get.

OTOH, I would advise waiting. I'm going to be patient till June or thereabouts for an announcement. I think Sony is making a big mistake by staying mum on their plans. It leaves people like you and me in a quandary. Will there be a 939? I have more hope than I had last month with the new Samsung camera defining a new level for the prosumer niche. It seems tha Sony would almost have to have a competing offering and one that is at least as good, if not better.

That's the camera I'm really waiting for. I think you have to set yourself a deadline based on your needs and then make a decision at that time. Meanwhile, I'm taking some great shots with my f828.

Here's one from yesterday, just for fun.

Hope this helps....

Attached Images

aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:14 AM   #33

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Here is what I WANT. I want the best of both worlds.....a prosumer and a DSLR.
Quote:
Ohmigod... Someones been read'n my mind!
Anybody catch "Steves" "Breaking News" item...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#jump
I wonder if Sony read it... Or Canon. Gosh i wish it wasn't a Samsung!
It says:
Samsung Digimax Pro 815 SLR-like digital camera that was just shown at a photo fair in Beijing China. A few features standout like a 28-420mm 15x optical zoom with manual control rings, a 2/3-inch size 8-megapixel image sensor and a really big 3.5-inch color LCD screen. Follow the link above for more information about this camera.
Quote:
Hint to Canon and Sony:

Produce a Canon Powershot Pro2 or Sony Cybershot F939 with a 1 inch 8 megapixel (Or9 megapixels)sensor, put in 16x optical (28-448 mm), a 4.0 inch 300,000 pixel LCD as well as all the features and manual controls a prosumer camera can get!! And fast!
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:39 AM   #34

aakalan wrote:
Quote:
>>Hey aakalan... Would you still recommend an f828 knowing it's been discontinued and new cam might be coming.

Depends. If you need higher resolution and the advanced focus, performance of the f828 -immediately- buy now! Probably is the best price you'll get.
aakalan,

Thanks for the reply... It's even worse now because i found out last night i can get a Rebel XT for 800 bucks at an employee sale on Sunday and only Sunday.
(I'm retired). I know its a good (GREAT) camera but i hate to lose that swivel screen, and on screen composition. The dSLR guys don't know what they're missing....

dale
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:38 PM   #35

How bad can it be?

Sony nearly doubles net profit for the year

Despite reported fourth quarter losses of $533m(¥56.5 bn), Sony has ended the year with net profits totaling US$1.5 bn (¥163.8 bn), according to Photo Marketing Newsline. This is nearly double the profit the electronics giant recorded last year. There have been positive sales in the digital camera, flat panel TV and LCD rear projection sectors, while sales have decreased in the CRT television and portable audio markets. Sony expects net profit for the year ending March 2006 to drop to US$755m (¥80 bn) due to restructuring plans said to be costing $680m (¥72 billion).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05..._salesdown.asp
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:34 PM   #36

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
How bad can it be?

Sony nearly doubles net profit for the year

Huh??? Gee... I thought we were talking about cameras... Didn't someone in this
thread say it was all about money? I guess this is the proof.

So that moves the Sony stock and the Canon Rebel XT to a strong buy. I'll take a picture of my portfolio with my Rebel.

dale

Old May 6, 2005, 12:07 AM   #37

You are so right!!! I definitely don't want an SLR either!!! Why carry all those lenses when you can have a beautiful compact "dark angel" like the Sony F828.

But I do want an improved 828. I hope Sony will bring it out soon! Internet rumor is that the replacement is already made but they are holding off on releasing and full production for a while. I feel it has to do with Zeiss not allowing Sony to put an Image Stabilizer in their lens. Hopefully this will be settled soon. I would love to see an f828 successor this year!!! Maybe Sony will learn a lesson for waiting so long because so many people have gone to the Canon XT. I almost did, until I held it in my hands and thought it was a joke! It resembled a cheap $10 disposable camera. It was totally plastic aside from the lens. And the prices of the lenses are ridiculous!!!! Completely ridiculous!!! At least Sony used heavy duty metal for their $1000 camera, not so with Canon!!!!

Quote:
aakalan wrote:
IDONTWANT an SLR even if it's cheaper than a Sony prosumer.

Why? Because I want to take advantage of this digital revolution (I'm also a reasonably well-known software developer). I WANT to preview my pictures before I take them. I WANT to see exactly what the CCD will record, not the light coming through the lens. IDONT WANTto have to do my camera settings in an LCD that's impossible to see in daylight. I WANT to see a live histogram in my viewfinder. I WANT an EVF!.

I DONT WANT to carry multiple cameras when I'm shooting sports (it's the only way to go from distant to close without changing lenses - an impossible pain when shooting, for example, a bicycle race). I DONT WANT to carry three lenses costing me $5000 every time I walk away from my car.

I DONT WANT to have to check my white balance -after- I take my picture.

I WANT my incredibly crisp ZEISS lens, not some cheap Sigma zoom. I WANT to pay attention to the shot, not the camera.

And I sure as heck don't want a plastic body, even if it is state-of-the-art composite!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 12:13 AM   #38

Ixus 700 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hint to Canon and Sony:

Produce a Canon Powershot Pro2 or Sony Cybershot F939 with a 1 inch 8 megapixel (Or9 megapixels)sensor, put in 16x optical (28-448 mm), a 4.0 inch 300,000 pixel LCD as well as all the features and manual controls a prosumer camera can get!! And fast!
I don't need 16x Optical. 10X is pretty sufficient, but a 1" sensor is what I'd really love! I want a CMOS sensor too, there is less noise. A 3" LCD would be good enough for me!!

It would drive me crazy having an LCD but not being able to view it to take a picture!!! I hate that about digital SLRs, so I definitely do not want a Sony SLR. A bigger sensor like an SLR................. sure!!!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 8:33 PM   #39

kski wrote:
Quote:
Ixus 700 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hint to Canon and Sony:

Quote:
I don't need 16x Optical. 10X is pretty sufficient, but a 1" sensor is what I'd really love! I want a CMOS sensor too, there is less noise. A 3" LCD would be good enough for me!!

It would drive me crazy having an LCD but not being able to view it to take a picture!!! I hate that about digital SLRs, so I definitely do not want a Sony SLR. A bigger sensor like an SLR................. sure!!!!
1" sensor!!! Wow! That would be nice. And highly unlikely' That's bigger then a dSLR sensor(IE Canon 20D). 16X Optical... Ohmigod! Do you realize how big a lens that would be on a 1" sensor. The sensor on a F828 is 6.6 X 8.8 and a Rebel XT or20D is 22.2 x 14.8mm. I thought the lens on my F717 was big.

I do hope that Sony goes with a much larger sensor but it will not be a fixed lens or at least i don't think so. Why? The problem we have with our prosumer cameras is that one lens can only do so much. Good here. Great there. Crappy doing this or that. The lenses are small because of the teenie weenie sensor. Big sensor =BIG LENS It'sa gottabe.

Here is thesensors all together and just how tiny the F828 sensor is. And it's one of the big ones in digicam land. I'd like to credit this graphic but i can't remember where i got it. I think it was Luminous Landscape.

[align=center]Full Frame 35mm = 24 X 36mm
Reduced Frame 1.5X Digital = 15.1 X 22.7mm
Sony F828 = 6.6 X 8.8mm
White is a regular digicam
ACTUAL SIZE

[/align]

Attached Images