Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:31 PM   #1

I recently purchased a P150 and it's working great. I love everything about it, and was very pleasantly surprised at how well it does as a video recorder. Our family is as pleased as punch.

Here's the question: We bought a 1GIGABYTE sandisk memory stick pro. It worked fine right out of the box in the camera. Recently I put the card into a SONY VAIO LAPTOP which had an onboard memory stick slot. The vaio is about 2 years old. Although there were about 100 megabytes of pictures on the card the laptop reported that the card was NOT FORMATTED, and asked if I wanted to format it.

I of course did not, got the pictures off the card another way. My question is, should I format it using this sony device-- will it possibly make the card operate faster? I'ts not high priority for me to be able to pull images off of the card from the SONY LAPTOP but it would be nice. I'm more curious about whether if I format it using the laptop if it will perform better/worse/the same in my P150 ?

Thanks for any help in advance!!!
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:18 PM   #2

Most likely the laptop is not able to support memory stick pro format. Try taking a few pictures with the 32MB stick that came with the camera and see if the laptop recognizes it.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:24 PM   #3

Hey Cybershotnut.. thanks again for all the help with my purchase!

I did try the 32mb card and it worked fine in the laptop, without formatting it. I take it this means I should NOT format the memory stick pro card, for fear of the card not operating properly again in the camera?

I asked because I was curious if that I did format it with the laptop, that somehow the card would be formatted in such a way that it would work faster or more optimally in some other wayin the camera.

Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:32 AM   #4

You can't damage it by trying to format it with the laptop, I'm sure the laptop is just not compatible with the memory stick pro format. I had this problem with a PNY memory stick reader. It will probably give you some kind of error if you try to format it with the laptop. The only solution is to transfer files directly from the camera with the USB cable or buy a memory stick reader for the laptop.

In order to keep up with new technology it seems like you have to replace everything at the same time!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:16 AM   #5

I wouldnt format in the computer ever, my friend had a 1gb Sandisk Memory Stick Pro he formated it in his card reader and it dosent work in the camera now just comes up with error, he has tried it with a few camera in the store same problem, it works fine in his PC so hes just using it for storing PC files etc on it now.
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6

Couldn't he reformat it with his camera?
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:45 AM   #7

Nope as it just came up as card error , formating in in the PC meant that no camera would accept it i guess its a Sony thing,
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote