Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 2, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

Hi! I got a W1 at Christmas and initially thought I loved it. I am consistantly getting blurry pictures. I cannot figure what to do about it. I am taking pictures of fast moving kids. I could understand if I were getting motion blur but it isn't that... it is fuzzy, blurry pictures. Out of 5 pictures I will have at least 3 that have the fuzzy blur. I tried resetting the camera with the little button on the bottom but that has had no effect. I am primarily shooting in auto mode. I am about ready to get rid of the thing and go with a Kodak LS753. I previously owed a Kodak and very very rarely got the fuzzy blur. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the fuzzy blur?

Sherry
tiggyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

Quote:
"The DSC-W1 employs a 5-point Multi-point auto focus system, with automatic or user selectable AF point. The center AF target area can be wide or narrow. The working range is from 19.7 inches to infinity in normal mode and in Macro the coverage is from 3.9 inches to infinity.
You can also manually select one of five focus distance presets from 0.1m to infinity. The DSC-W1 features an AF Assist beam designed to achieve accurate focus on subjects with little contrast in dark conditions."
Are you sure you have the focus options set correctly?
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:35 PM   #3

With moving subjects that you're taking pictures of, you need to put it on the higher speed settings. 1/400 of a second works great for kids. If you're not in that setting then of course you'd have blury pics! Also, make sure you always lock the focus by holding the shutter button down half-way and then continue to click.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:42 PM   #4

The other thing you can do to test it is to try taking the same shots on a tripod using the self-timer. That will eliminate any camera-shake. If you still get the problems, then it's a focussing issue. But if not, then it is a camera-shake issue.

Also, kski's advice is correct. Most people have had their blurry problems solved by manually setting the ISO speeds higher. For some reason, the W1/W5 defaults in low lighting to slow ISO speeds.
fakemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:03 PM   #5

kski wrote:
Quote:
With moving subjects that you're taking pictures of, you need to put it on the higher speed settings. 1/400 of a second works great for kids. If you're not in that setting then of course you'd have blury pics! Also, make sure you always lock the focus by holding the shutter button down half-way and then continue to click.

I've had my W1 for nearly a year now and still get way too many out of focus or blurry pix (take a lot of my now walking baby girl). So basically it sounds like the advice is to scrap the auto setting and take the pix in M or P setting. Is the above advice about setting to 1/400 of a second mean changing to ISO 400? or it there another setting you are referring to?
jmk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 9:59 PM   #6

Yes setting it to a higher ISO would hep with camera shake. Also if you set the speed to 1/400th of a second that will help get great action shots. You'll still have to point at your subject and press the shutter halfway down then when the auto focus lock beeps then continue to press it fully to take the pic. It really works excellent! But make sure the flash is on though or it's too dark when you increase the speed.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7

How do you set the shutter speed? I went into Setup and also the options in M and P settings and didn't see anything about setting shutter speeds except the ISO settings.

Help.
jmk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:19 AM   #8

To set the Shutter & Aperture you need to go into M Mode. If you look at the bottom of the LCD the Shutter & Aperture settings are displayed. To change them you need to press the OK button. When you do that the Shutter & Aperture setting change color and you use the Directional arrow to adjust each one.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:04 PM   #9

Go read the manual
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:57 AM   #10

i don't know if this feature is still available on W1, but go into the setup mode, and set "AF Mode" to "Monitor" - it's optimized for moving objects
also, do as the guys say (about aperture, shutter, and stuff)
XAVeRY is offline   Reply With Quote