Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:01 PM   #1

This is a French website where I stumbled upon an interesting comparison between these two camera's. Since it appears they used "auto" setting, I believe it is a fair comparison coming from non-professionals meaning this could reflect every-day buyers who just want a point and shoot. Where it says "Etape 3", you can scroll to see the different portraits they took with each camera.

Some pictures the SD500 look better and others the P200 looks better. Ohh, in France the SD500 is called the Ixus700.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.p...15&p2=366&ph=6

kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:46 PM   #2

I have my doubts about these 'comparison' sites since I am not sure that they are really as 'neutral' as they pretend to be. On the surface, it might appear that comparing both cameras in Auto mode puts them on a level playing field but I am not so sure.

If you change the camera that is compared to the P200 to...for example...the Canon 300D dSLR and you will see that the P200 comes out on top in most of the shots. Does this show that the dSLR is no good? I don't think so. There is much more to the operation ofthe camera than 'Auto' mode. In many cases, 'Auto' mode doesn't show off the camera's real capabilities.

What I would like to see is a comparison of the best that the cameras can produce and not what was programmed in at the factory for average situations. Are we comparing the cameras or the judgement of the technicians back at the factory?
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:24 PM   #3

You have to ask yourself, who buys these point and shoot camera's the most, and what group of people is it geared towards? Most people buying the camera will only use Auto setting so it is a very fair comparison to only use factory settings on auto to take test shots for comparison. I do agree with you that for experts who know how to use the Manual settings, it is important to also see specific websites that test a whole range of camera manual functions. However for the average camera buyer who wants an ultra-compact, it is usually not for messing with manual settings before taking a shot rather than just turn the camera on and take a quick snap-shot on the move. Taking that into account, I would love to see more comparison websites that offer basic "auto" shot comparisons in many different lighting situations.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote