Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1

Both are 5mp and 3x opt zoom. Which would make a better point and shoot 2nd camera? Why is the w5 so much more?
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:43 AM   #2

Actually, from what I remember, the P93 had a better auto mode, than the W1.

The Flash Placement of the P93 is a lot better against red-eye, although the W1 flash placement has the benefit of not having those cast shadows very close to the subject. But the red eye is one of the least good.

The lens is better, though. It's sharper, colours are richer, less barrel distortion.

So that was a comparison between the P93 and the W1.

The W5 compared to the W1 in options is the exact same camera. The technique behind it is different/improved.

Look through Cybershotnut's thread about his comparison between the W1 and the W5.

Good luck.

And, while we're at it, I would definitely check the P200 too. It's got manual white balance, the same lens as the W5, the roughly same flashplacement of the P93 (So far less red-eye than the W-series), but Lithium batteries, which I wouldn't really call a disadvantage.
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:08 PM   #3

Thanks so much for your reply. I just got back from best buy and looked them all over. Like the p200 but dont really want to spend that much. (just recently got the rebel xt, but miss having a small cam to carry everywhere.) Also the viewfinders are so small on the newer models. I'm not used to framing my shots in the LCD screen. I guess I'll keep looking.
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:25 AM   #4

The viewfinder on the W5 is like the W1 very comfortable indeed.
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote