Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 1, 2005, 3:57 PM   #11

Hi.

just had a question. which is best the best lens for macro shots,alenswith more dof or one with less? what affect hasdof got on the picture and quality? whats the raynox lens like in regards to dof?

thanks
smsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 8:54 PM   #12

DOF is not related to image quality. DOF refers to how much of the picture is in focus. Ladscapes, for example, typically require more DOF. When you want a subject to stand out, or "pop" against a background, you want less DOF.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 7:02 AM   #13

A couple more pics taken with Raynox MSN 200. Hope they give you an idea of what to expect from this lens.

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpics/sets/263299/
and here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpics/sets/220513/
Simonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:09 AM   #14

That's some awesome sh:!:t buddy! Just proves you don't need to be a DSLR nut to capture some serious macro shots. Where I work, we have a DSLR craze going on.. everyone buying D70's, Canon DSLR's etc. etc.. then next they find themselves in the middle of a never ending battle to find zoom lenses, macro lenses, telephoto, wide and what not.. forced to spend thousands of bucks - not to mention how irritating it would be to carry all that equipment around all the time.

But when opportunity strikes, how simple it is to pull a P200 out of your pocket, and get that priceless shot.

I tell ya, I'm not falling for that DSLR boom :lol:
HeZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:22 AM   #15

If you compare DSLR's of yesterday 2001-2002 years, my P200 rivals those cameras in quality considering the size.

Imagine showing someone your P200 back in 2002 with its 7.2MP and very fast speeds. Not to mention image quality. It was unimaginable back then. It is amazing how technology keeps improving year after year. I believe digital camera technology will reach a similar point as are the PC processor's in today's computers. Intel and AMD have maxed out on how much speed is actually needed vs. quality and efficiency. The dual core chips will be not as speedy as their single core chips at same speeds, but they will be faster when used with programs that utilize its capabilities.

Digital Camera technology doesn't need to go much further than the current Mega-Pixel state to achieve excellent quality pictures. Coincidentally, they are making things more efficient and some companies are creating dual sensor technology which is equivalent to stacking multiple images to create a smoother picture with less noise. It will be interesting to see where the digital camera world will lead. However I feel that things are moving too quickly for some companies (aherm Sony) and they are discontinuing models too quickly without fully supporting them after the discontinuance. Not only that, but when you buy a digital camera, you probably want it to last you a couple years at least before upgrading. Releasing too many models and saturating the market may have a detrimental effect at some point to the digital camera market in general and slow things down negatively. It is my opinion that this will happen sometime in the near future once all camera companies start seeing declines in camera sales. Couple that with cell phones all packing 7MP camera and MP3 players the like all with the same Ziess lenses. This over saturation will have some repercussions. Rumor has it that Sony is changing their marketing strategies where digital cameras are concerned and going to focus their sales on creating multi-devices or all-in-ones which include cell phone/pda/pocketgamer/camera/mp3player. Only time will tell exactly what they mean to the digital camera world. It might mean in the short term cheaper DSLR's because demand for them decreases. I just hope they don't reorganize their Cybershot camera team to work on other projects like these all in ones instead of focusing on improving the ultra-compacts and an F828 replacement.

kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 11:04 AM   #16

I have bought the macro lence you have linked to on ebay and its pretty good for the price. it nicely blurrs out the edges and gives what you are focusing on a nice definition.

the only thing i need to get is tripod as its really hard to get a good shot without one.

when i can ill post some pics up.

http://www.clearwatermedia.net/?page_id=10

I am extremely happy with the camera though.

slee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:43 AM   #17

Do you have tried to take a macro pic by handing a reversed lens in the front of your camera ?

Here a sample taken with a 130mm lens renversed in the front of a sony FDSC-V3 :

http://sonyv3.free.fr/fly_smacro.jpg

jeff31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 5:07 PM   #18
d48

These are awesome photos!

I have a question. I also have a P200. I know it takes add-on lenses, but I don't understand how they attach. I read there isan adapter, but I still don't understand because the lens retracts and gets closed off when you turn the camera off.

I'minterested in a wide view add on lens.

Thanks!
d48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 6:11 PM   #19

Basically you need to buy the VAD-PHC lens adapter.

When your camera is turned off and lens is retracted, the adapter slides on and screws into the tripod mount.
The extra lenses are then attached to this. As there is sufficient space between adapter and camera body,
when the camera is turned on the sony lens extends to fill this space.

Hope this explanation helps - if not take a look at the picture here.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
Simonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 6:31 PM   #20
d48

Thanks for theexplanation. I had seen that picture, but I didn't understand it until your description of how it worked.

Do you know if I have to buy the Sony wide angle lens or doI just look for one with 30mm size? I'm gathering from the previous posts that I can use other lenses. Ijust don't know where to start looking. Any tips?
d48 is offline   Reply With Quote