Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:48 AM   #1

Hi.

im looking to buy a Macro lens for my sony P200.

is the following link any good? what does 16d+ mean? do i need the adaptor to connectthe lensto the camera?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

thanks
smsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:34 AM   #2

Are there any good macro lenses for the p200?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:49 PM   #3

I use a Raynox MSN 200 macro lens in conjunction with the VAD-PHC lens adapter.

Pretty good results.

More Pics Here (All rights reserved):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpi...in/set-263299/

Simonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:08 PM   #4

WOW. great pictures. thanks for the reply.
do you use any additional ring to fit the lens on the camera?
where can i find it in the UK? ive searched everywhere but couldnt find one.
thanks
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:56 PM   #5

Vad-PHC bought online from sony europe. (£29)

Raynox MSN-200 came with a converter ring but didn't fit (bought the Nikon version - only one they had). Already had a bunch of adapter rings from my raynox DVR2020 lens, so not really a problem for me. Salesman said you can buy the rings seperately. Raynox lenses available from Jessops.

MSN-200 cost about £40.

Best £40 I ever spent. Let me know how you get on.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:39 PM   #6

I think the macro mode of the P200 is not so bad, except softess aroud the edges.
What are the adventages of these macro lenses? Is there no softness on the edges?
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

The main advantage of the macro lens is that it gives you greater magnification than the standard in built lens.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:46 PM   #8

The add on lenses big advantage is reducing DOF. The blurring effect on the background really allows the subject to pop. Since you have soft edges on the lens without the macro lens, you will still have soft edges with the macro lens on. The smaller DOF reduces how noticeable the soft edges are, however.

Also, some will argue whenever you put another piece of glass over your main lens, you reduce image quality...the amount depending on how good the extra lens or filter is.

Another possible disadvantage is in the ability to use the AF assist lamp and flash of the camera. I own the V3, and neither of these items can be used as the lens adapter partially blocks the flash and AF assist lamp when attached to the camera. I don't own the p200, so perhaps someone who owns this camera can let you know if this is the case.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:07 PM   #9

Thanks for your replys, im going to buy the VAD-PHC adaptor and the raynox lens soon. will post samples.
Old May 1, 2005, 12:30 PM   #10

I havn't seen this macro lens in any french site, but I bought a special magnify glass (as below) several years ago. It is used to see little animals, stamp, or others small objects. And you give me the idea to insert it in the lens of my P200, and... it fits it perfectly ! But I have to maintain it with 2 pieces of adhesive strap.
The image quality is very good, with of course some softness on the edge, but less than I expect. But it is not easy to use because the depth of field is very tight, then there are often blurry issues ! And that blocks the most part of light or the flash light too. However it is fun to use. Here are a 100% crop of a strawberry and a very sympathetic little spider. I played with it for at less an hour ! It was very small (around 4 mm) and difficult to shot it because it was often moving. Then I took some good videos too !
Strange, on the picture (below) it seems it has 4 eyes ! (2 big and 2 small on the sides !)
Attached Images

Doris is offline   Reply With Quote