Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:49 PM   #1

hi. ive posted in the Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers section of the board but to no avial.
basically, i got a sandisk 512 card for my p200 and its acting rather strange!

the memory card is only sometimes read by the computer when i try and upload my pics.
it seems to be ok when i connect up the camera to the PC, but if i use a card reader and then plug in the Stick, the PC just doesnt recognise it!
is this a problem with the card, card reader, both?
do i have to use a sandisk card reader with their Stick?
its so frustrating!
thanks, any help would ge great!
adam_rushmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2

Welcome to the club my friend!
I indeed had this EXACT same problem with my 1GB Sandisk MS Pro. However, the consequence in my case is far worse than yours: While using a Lexar multicard reader (on the box: "supports ms pro cards"), not only did it not read my sandisk card, it completely unformatted my card! I tried to reformat it back with my p200, but to no avail! Thankfully, Sandisk replaced my card free of charge (i had to pay shipping though). Like yourself, my question is for those who use Sandisk ms pro cards with their p200: Which brand card reader do you use?
iceman_dl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:51 AM   #3

ahh that sucks.

howeveri have a feeling that my jenoptik cark reader only supports memory stick. nowhere on it does it say it supports MS Pro. so im gonna take it into my camera shop and see if i can get to the bottom of this.
adam_rushmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:21 PM   #4

I have that card for my 717. I read it in a USB2 SanDisk12 in 1 reader Model # sddr-89. Wow its fast! It's the reader that has the vertical stand for it (Slick but i don't use the stand) and cost i think around 30 bucks US. Sorry you guys are having problems. Now don't even get me started about SmartDisk. One of those ruined a MS for me.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:07 AM   #5

I'm using an Atech Pro 9 card reader to read my 512mb Sandisk MS Pro card. Haven't had any problems so far.
dpart90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 8:01 AM   #6

Is your card reader more than a year or two old?? Many old card readers are not compatible with the newer pro cards. I ran into this issue with my epson 925 printer. It would only read the basic memory stick, not the pro. If you still have your manual for the card reader, it should list what forms of memory it is compatible with. My bet is the Pro memory is not compatible.

In my case, I went out and purchased a Lexar Jump Drive Trio for $20. I have a 512 and 256 Sandisk pro card and it reads them fine.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:20 AM   #7

Interesting, I just discovered this discussion as I was browsing. I spent almost an hour last night online with Lexar. I just got one of their multicard readers (Model RW01) and it would not read a 512MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro although it read SD and SmartMedia cards just fine. The computer tries to do an Autoplay on the stick over and over essentially locking up things. If I try to do any diagnostics on the virtual drive for the reader it says no card is there. The bottom line is they are sending me an RMA to return the reader for a firmware update. I wonder if this is related to the problems others have had with this stick.

One good thing, the stick still works in my H1 after trying to read it in the Lexar reader.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote