Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1

I was wondering, should I pick up the discountinued P93A while stores still have them in stock or save up some more money and buy like a W7 or P200? The thing is the P93A here in Canada is now 328.97 Canadian dollars. Now my momworks for Sears WesternCanada head office so she has a 15% discount. As well shehas a $20 couponand there will be a scratch and save nextSaturdaywhich will have a minimum value of $20. So $328.97-20-20=288.97 After 15% discountit will be$245.62. After 14% tax it will then be $280.01. It also comes with a bonus Sony case, the blue and black one, but yet again all the Sony cameras do. So is the P93A good for that price because I heard some bad things about it. And I don't really care for the size or resoloution of the screen as much as build and photo quality. Or should I wait and but the $530 P200 or $600 W7? Thanks,
finalcoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:03 PM   #2

I am considering either the P-93 or the W5. Both are 5mp 3x and use aa's. Which one would you guys recommend? CC has the W5 for 314.00.
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:34 PM   #3

The P93 is a great camera for the price. The only big difference between the P93 and the "W" series id the size of the lcd and the startup time.(P93 extends the lens slower)I'm sorry to see Sony discontinuing it already and introducing the S40, S60 and S90 which are probably decent cameras but only 4.1 megapixel andI don't like the look and feel of them.

If you don't mind the smaller LCD, I'm sure you will be very happy with the performance of the P93.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 3:10 PM   #4

Thanks cybershotnut! We are getting ready to take the kids to Disneyland and I didn't want to take my dslr. I really miss having a small camera for such outings. Also for boating, the beach and everywhere where the dslr is to big, or I would worry to much. I like the P-93 but havent heard such great things about it. Glad to see it got your approval. I like the aa's as I have a charger that plugs into my car lighter.

So just to be clear, between the w-5 and p-93 you would take the p-93? Any last bits of advice before I take the plunge?
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:36 PM   #5

Well, if someone gave me the choice of either camera for the same price I would definitely have to take the W5 over the P93 just because of the LCD and the metal housing. If you can save a considerable amount of money by buying the P93 over the W5 then I would go with the P93. One thing to keep in mind is that you get alot less redeye in flash photos with the P93. Decisions are never easy to make!

Take a look at Steve's sample photos from the P93 and the W1(photo quality is almost identical between the W1 and W5) and decide for yourself what you like best.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:01 AM   #6

I am using a P93. I am not very happy with it's saturation and looking for a replacement just because of that reason. Only a smallinfo for you. Sorry if confused your mind:?
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote