Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1

Well, I thought I had decieded on the W-5 as my little brother to my DSLR-but was at Target yesterday picking up laundry soap ect. and saw the P-93 (didnt realize it was the A model till I got home) on clearence for $200.00. Only 3 left so I got it.

What I dont like-

1. The viewfinder is not comfortable for me, but I coud probably get used to it.

2. On burst mode the flash does'nt work. Even ifI have it in auto and only want one shot. ( for example if Im outside and want to take a few quick burst shots of the kids and then come inside and want to take a single shot and use the flash I have to go into the menue and go back to single shot. Thats a pain.Is the W-5 the same?

3.Many of my pics were blurry. I was using center focus, multi metering and P mode.Wouldspot metering be better?

I probably just got spoiled with the responsivness of the Rebel and needto realize this is what it is.

What settings would you suggest for basic point and shoot to get the best picture quality? Should I just put it back to 5 pt auto focus and shoot in the green auto mode?

Thanks all
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:12 AM   #2

In burst mode the flash won't work on any Sony camera even if you only take one shot. You can't really compare your P93A to your DSLR. I'm guessing your blurry shots is being caused by a slow shutter speed, most point and shoot cameras have small lenses that allow less light to enter than a DSLR so the shutter speed is slower to compensate for this. I usually use "P" mode, but if you need a faster shutter speed, try "M" mode with the shutter speed ste at 1/80 sec. Try mounting the camera on a tripod and take photos of still objects and see if the blurry problem goes away, also make sure you are half-pressing the shutter button to let the camera focus before taking the shot.

If you can live with the small LCD on the P93A, it's a great deal at $200.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3

I would think the P93 is one the classics but all the program/manual controls with a sony lens. To respond to your 2nd compliant, its all workable. A poster in another forum wrote that he or she switches to auto and chooses normal or burst, switches backto P. It isnt that hard.

For youre 3rd one, Hold the still is possible, Find different possible of hand grip formations. You have to 100% support the lens load.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:32 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Actually I'm liking it better this morning. Took some indoor flash shots of my blue eyed boy and no red-eye! A few more questions though...

On P mode would you suggest center focus or the multipoint auto focus? What about metering. If I use center focus should I use spot or multi? When using the viewfinder its hard to tell if the subject is in the center AF and spot metering (the X is on target)

Also, I'm confused why I would need to go between auto mode and P mode when switching from burst to single shot.

About ISO-auto or 100?

Thanks again
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:42 PM   #5

Center is better.

It would be simpler. With multi AF, you have to fill all the brackets with what you desire to focus on. With like a person, I would getwithing rangeand hold the camera vertically, then shoot.Multi metering always, you will be sorry if using spot. It's just an exposure balancing tool to use for the center area of the picture.With the viewfinder just aim the center of the finder at the subject.

Just nevermind about the normal to burst mode changing. It's dumb.

Auto ISO mostly. ISO 100 if you or the sky can deliver confident light.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:10 PM   #6

My P93a also makes blurry pics quite often. But after two months I make less unsharp photos than at the beginning. The general advice: make more and delete these unsharp. Or buy some other camera. My son has V1 with sharp pics but red eys. I consider to buy either SD500 or Casio E750 or Sony P200

Jacek Kwasniewski, Warsaw Poland
jacek51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:42 PM   #7

Thank you for your time and advice. After taking more photos today I think I'm going to keep it.

qball, what is dumb...using burst mode or changing between P and auto when one wants to use burst mode. Did you mean to just keep it in P mode and chg from single shot to burst in the menue? I wish I could just keepit there but the flash doesnt work in burstso I have to switch back to single shot.

qball wrote:
Quote:
Center is better.

It would be simpler. With multi AF, you have to fill all the brackets with what you desire to focus on. With like a person, I would getwithing rangeand hold the camera vertically, then shoot.Multi metering always, you will be sorry if using spot. It's just an exposure balancing tool to use for the center area of the picture.With the viewfinder just aim the center of the finder at the subject.

Just nevermind about the normal to burst mode changing. It's dumb.

Auto ISO mostly. ISO 100 if you or the sky can deliver confident light.