Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:36 PM   #1

Are all these people complaining of blurry pictures, and that the sony dsc-w1 cant take any decent pictures indoors really experiencing a flaw in the image processing of the camera? or are they experiencing USER ERROR?? I know the camera has a huge LCD which would make it easy to take the picture holding the camera far away from your face with little support. Maybe they are shaking the camera with too slow shutter speeds? I just bought a W1. Havent recieved it yet, i didn't see all this hoopla about blurry / soft images until after i purchased it (from a discount dealer that will only exchange it for the same camera). I figured that $245 with free shipping for a 5.1 mp camera and 2.5" lcd was too good to be true. Though, I'm sure that this upgrade, from an Olympus D520 2.0mp will be a huge one anyway. We will see, I hate to say it, but if it isnt a big improvement over my olympus (which was very slow and has no features but takes fairly nice pictures when your not drunk) I'll have to sell it on Ebay to some unsuspecting buyer...I feel guilty saying that... and all this talk about a possible firmware upgrade, can they really do that? would we download some sort of upgrade program from sony? Also, whoever suggested complaining to ZEISS has a good idea. My father has worked for Zeiss for over 25 years and I know that they are very conscious of their very reputable brand name. Zeiss = quality optics. Anyway, this whole thread is discouraging but we will have to wait a few more days to find out for sure.:?:
xksrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:08 AM   #2

There is nothing wrong with the W1, I've gotten many excellent pictures from the W1 I had. The only bad photos I've gotten from it was because of motion blur at slow shutter speeds and by not half-pressing the shutter button for the camera to focus.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3

I did some research before buying the W1 and it seemed like a great camera, then after I bought it I started reading all theses reviews. I guess maybe I'm just overanalyzing everything and am too anxious for UPS to deliver. Also, you never know who it is reviewing the camera, it could be some kid who has never used an SLR before or a crackhead with the shakes. Why did you get rid of your W1 cybershotnut? and what kinds of pictures did you use it for? Also, now that I think about it, slightly soft pictures are not bad, its better than noisy pictures.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:46 PM   #4

The only reason I sold my W1 is because My collection of cameras is getting a little out of hand and I wanted to check out the W5 and W7. I used the W1 for many different types of photos and the only real complaint I had was the red-eye the flash causes, but the W5 and W7 is really no different for red-eye.

I got a deal on a few brand new W7's so I had to check 'em out...:?
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:15 PM   #5

OMG - Did those fall off a truck Cybershotnut? (just kidding). Your collection never ceases to amaze me. My husband and my close friends all tease me about my "digital camera obsession" but I always sell my "old" one after buying the "newest" one...I would LOVE to be able to amass a collection like yours

Sooo...what are your thoughts on the W7 ?
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:53 AM   #6

Haha, I wish they "fell off the truck" I like the W7 alot, probably one of the best Sony point and shoot cameras I have used. Here's a W7 sample of my cat, no modification done except for resizing:
Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:54 AM   #7

Nice picture indeed ! And s/he is obviously a seasoned pro!

Just curious - besides the increased resolution, what would you say makes it "one of the best Sony point and shoots"- that's a big endorsement coming from you !
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 4:41 PM   #8

Well, the W7is just a well designed solid camera with excellent image quality. I like the shape of the camera, battery life is great and the speed and image quality is the best out of all other Sony point and shoot cameras I've used.(Not including "F" and "V" series.)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I only have two complaints:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1.Alot of red-eye.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2.No manual white balance

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As you can see by the above photo, the Auto white balance is a little off and my grey cat looks brown. Setting the white balance to incandescent would have helped this, but manual white balance is the way to go when you take photos without a flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The P200 takes care of these two complaints, but the images from the P200 seem to be slightly softer and less detailed.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:24 PM   #9

I agree, that pic of the cat looks good, not soft at all. Did sony stick with the same image processing with the W7? or the W5 for that matter compared with the W1?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:45 PM   #10

The image processor is slightly different between the W1 and W5/W7. The W5/W7 is slightly faster than the W1. I think Sony calls it Real Imaging Processor LSI. There isn't much difference in photo quality between the W1 and W5. If you really look closely and enlarge the pic 200% the W5 looks slightly cleaner and more detailed, but hardly noticable. One thing I did notice on the W1 was it's tendency to overexpose pictures sometimes in bright light, I have not taken any overexposed pictures with the W5/W7 yet.