Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 16, 2005, 5:54 PM   #1

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, I signed up here because there seems to be a good knowledge base of the Sony cameras.

As you can probably see i like Sony, first digital camera was a P32 now i have a V1. Basically i like the size and shape of the 'W' cameras, and i want a nice black one. I'd prefer the use of AA batteries to a crumby powerpack and i want the big ol' screen. I know that they all have less optical zoom and features than my V1 but i am prepared do do without them. To be honest I don't use the manual features as much as I thought I would- I wanted the creativity of my SLR but as DSLR's have become affordable i want to get a compact and save for....well the new Canon 350d looks and feels rather nice.....

Anyway, first off i want to know if there is any difference, other than aesthetically, between the w12 and the w15??

Is the only difference between the W15 and W17 the number of megapixels??

Umm..could anyone tell me the importance of megapixels as towards photoshop? I mean i use photoshop a lot, often stealing bits out of different photos or tinting them like i would in the darkroom. I'm not interested in being able to print bigger (most of my stuff stays on the computer screen) but will a greater number of megapixels mean greater detail if you're same, taking a small element of a photo and enlarging it/playing with it?? (i hope someone understands what i mean).

Thankyou very much for any wisdom you can shed on this....
Igloopond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:22 PM   #2

Here's my comparison between the W1 and W5: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

and here's my comparison between the W5 and W7: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

The W12 is a black W1, the W15 is a black W5 and a W17 is a black W7, the black cameras also come with an extra set of batteries and a camera case.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:06 AM   #3

Thanks CyberShotNut.

So the W5/7 has a better performing LCD and less produces less noisy images...

OK i think i can rephrase my second question a bit... if one took the same photo with the W5 and the W7 at 5 and 7 megapixels respectively, and printed them, same paper, same printer, same image size and DPI, (sorry awfully bad grammar there, the comma splicing I mean), would there be any difference in image quality?

Secondly what if, instead of printing the images we werezooming in (digitaly) with a computer program (such as Photoshop or Windows Picture and Fax Viewer), would the 7mp image show greater clarity/detail than the 5mp? Like even if to the casual observer they'd be no difference but when you examined it more closely the difference would become apparent.

I'm trying to work out if there is an advantage for me to move up to 7mp rather than 5mp and if so whether its worth shelling out £50 more (thats about $95) to get the W5 over the W1. Especially when the W7 is only another £20 ($38 ) more than the W5.

The other reason of course is that if I move up to 7mp then I'll need a greater capacity of memory sticks to hold the same number of pictures (so is it worth it...)

CyberShotNut, you said the W7 was (sorry don't know exactly what you said but..) 'the best of the Cybershot point and shoot cameras yet'. Why's that then? (Or rather, is it that much better than the W5)??

Thanks very much for your reply.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:46 AM   #4

To explain it roughly.

The image ratio of a digital photo is 4:3 (you can make 3:2, the traditional format, though, but then there are black bars on top and bottom as it is built for 4:3).

The area of 3x4=12

You can make a formula: x=3/squareroot(12/x) x 4/squareroot (12/x)

With this a 5.1 megapixel camera has a resolution of:

1,955,760.722 x 2,607,680.962 pixels

A 7.2 megapixel has got:

2,323,790,008 x 3,098,386.677 pixels

This means you can print out 18 percent bigger.

Also if you would look at 7.2:5.1 = 1.411764700
which means there's 41 percent more pixels on a 7.2 mp compared to a 5.1 mp.

Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:07 AM   #5

Ah so if it has a greater number of pixels the picture may be the same but if you wanted to zoom in or manipulate there's a greater level of detail in the 7mp yes?

Say for instance there's an element such as a leaf that you want to steal from a picture and enlarge. Then 7mp would be better because to stretch it to the same size there would be more original pixels (photoshop would have to create less pixels through interpolation)?

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:00 PM   #6

Yes

Here you go:

Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote