Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:50 PM   #1

at a seminar sponsored by Canon this week.

Hello All,

The speaker was well known photographer and instructor.

As I was a guest at this free seminar it would not be proper to identify him, nor quote him directly.

The topic being discussed was Autofocus speed and accuracy in varying and low light conditions.

The speaker suggested the best way to achieve Autofocus with the Pro Canon DSLR's and the 20D was to use the centeral focusing point and only using constant aperture lenses no smaller than 2.8. He went on to state the 3 lenes one would need would be the 16-35L, 28-70L and the 70 - 200L.

He is a very honest and reputable seminar speaker in my opinion.

I sat quite smug knowing he just recommended about $4,800 in glass, and that I have a wider aperture Zeiss lens from 28-200 in my bagfixed to my Sony F-828, including Hologram autofocus.

Now I have reassurance that it will be worth waiting for the 'F-939' instead of going for the D20 or XT. (I do own and not use a D30 & D60 since I bought my F-828 in December 2004)

I thought this might be worth sharing with you.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Now I have reassurance that it will be worth waiting for the 'F-939' instead of going for the D20 or XT. (I do own and not use a D30 & D60 since I bought my F-828 in December 2004)
Hi Nickphoto 123,

Others on this forum seem too think that heck well freeze over before an F939
or any other Sony prosumer camera appears.

I would love too see a 939 but too be honest if it doesn't have the bigger
chip I don't want it and will go to a Rebel XT or 20D. It's not just pixel count
but the size of the pixels that makes the difference.

You could probably get in at 2K for a 20D and two lenses too get the same
work done because of the 1.6 ratio on the Canon lens. Don't forget you have
no options with your lens. That's it. At least I have a 2x for my717, even if it
weighs way too much and makes the camera clunky. But it looks real cool.

However i would trade it for a 828 any day, but since i'm paying I'll go with
the Canon next time.

My humble opinion
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:57 AM   #3

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Nickphoto 123,

I would love too see a 939 but too be honest if it doesn't have the bigger
chip I don't want it and will go to a Rebel XT or 20D. It's not just pixel count
but the size of the pixels that makes the difference.

Actualy, that is the conventional wisdom, but that is being debated seriously right now. On another forum, a German magazine has posted some tests between a fuji with a 1/1.7 chip and the 350XT. Apparently, the Fuji (with its small CCD) has better noise characteristics at 400 and 800 ISO than the Canon.

I've earned my living in technology for more than 20 years. All I know is that what was accepted as true last year is often not so next year. I remember what they said when the Power PC chip came out - that Intel had put as many transisters on a chip that they could go no further. But, of course, subsequent improvements in substrates and other technology allowed millions more transisters to be added totheIntel CPUover several generations.

I am confident that CCD sensors will enjoy the same kind of growth. Not just in numbers and size, but in core capability. I personally believe that a very small sensor can be made virtually noise-free with the right technology! And I'm willing to bet that Sony is working on that as we speak...

Just my opinion, of course....

AAK http://www.luminouseye.com

aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4

aakalan wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not just pixel count but the size of the pixels that makes the difference.
I've earned my living in technology for more than 20 years.
aakalan

I have been in technology my whole lifeand I'm an old fart.

See the problem with what you say is that any technology that improves the small chip will also improve the larger chip. Photons are like rain drops. The bigger the bucket the more you'll catch. So if light sensitivity is enhanced for the small chips the same tricks will be used on all chips.

Tiny chips have a place. That's why the lenses can be smaller.

I want a bigger bucket.

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 12:48 AM   #5

Well the thing about seminars like this, is that you have "professionals" giving them - professionals who sometimes make well into six figure incomes. Of course he'll recommend L glass for the Canons.. they are usually the best. But folks like this sometimes have their heads floating at Mt. Olympus with the photo Gods, and forget us mere mortals cannot afford the L-dollars.

I was using a Sony 707 as my primary camera until I bought my 10D. Then I wanted a better Sony model as a secondary camera for when I didn't want to lug the DSLR junk around, and tried out the 828. The noise and CA was just too much for me to handle, but I waited... assured in my mind that Sony would come with with either firmware adjustments, or a newer model since so many reviewers, magazines, and users were complaining about it. Waited some more, and some more. Finally gave up and bought a 2nd hand Canon D60 DSLR as my secondary camera. Still own and use the 707 for casual stuff and like it today - just isn't quite good enough for the "money makers" I need to do.

Rumors are numerous. A new model... Sony ditching the 800 series altogether due to DSLR competition... even one that the 828 was going to be "re-released" after some fixes are done to it. But so far, none of the above. I really think they are stalled out a bit and confused as to what the next best move might need to be. Either way, they really don't need to add more pixels. Just slap a physically larger chip in the thing to reduce noise, adjust the compression in fine mode to be less hefty, and redesign the lens assembly to include steadyshot (I.S.). Poof... instant best seller.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote