Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:31 PM   #1

I have a Sony FD 75 which I have been using for my ebay pics for 3 years now. My problem is that I am getting random Corrupt Files. I am unsure if it is the camera or the floppy discs. I have been throwing the discs away when I have a problem, but it is happening quite a bit and I am beginning to think it is in the camera. Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem? I have probably put 1500 pics through this camera, could I be nearing the end of the cameras life?

Thanks
phal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:47 PM   #2
Administrator

If it were mine, and I really liked the camera, I'd probably try a couple of things before giving up on it, and you wouldn't be risking much money. BTW, 1500 images is not a lot for a camera.

1. Make sure to try anew floppy disk (sometimes a worn one can cause errors, even if it formats fine in another device).

2. Buy a head cleaningdisk (sometimes, the heads on a floppy disk drive can get a little dirty). These typically have a bottle of cleaning solution with them that goes on a specific spot in the included special head cleaning floppy disk. Try a local office supply store, or a large computer store. They are typically under $10.00.

Here is one example:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Kensington_13132A

Here is another (perhaps even better since it has cleaning solution):

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/REARR1286.html

P.S. -- you didn't saywhere you're seeing the the file corruption. If it's when reading the images from a floppy disk (using your PC's floppy disk drive), then the drive you're reading the disk with (your PC's) could be the culprit.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:21 PM   #3

Thanks Jim!

The head cleaner is a good idea and I will try it.

The problem always shows up in the comp, but I rarely check the camera

display to see how the pics turned out. I will check that the next time, and

I will use the head cleaner on both units.

I really do like the camera, it takes a great close up and is perfect for my Ebayin.

Thanks...phal
Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:28 PM   #4
Administrator

It's relatively common to see alignment problems (or rather differences) between different floppy disk drives, too.

For example, one drive can read a specific floppy disk fine, and another drive can't.

But thedrive that can't read disksthe first drive can read, may be able to read other disks fine.

So, if cleaning the heads doesn't solve the problem, I'd check to see if the disks are readable by more than one drive before assuming it has anything to do with the camera.

Again, make sure to try new floppy disks, too.

I've got lots of old disks that are no longer readable (I had to go through a stack of them not long ago before finding one that I could read and write to without errors, trying to create a boot floppy for an oldPC I was trying to get working). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:50 PM   #5

Yes, I still have not ruled the discs out. I am going to buy another box of them

and try using only the new discs for the next batch of photos and see what happens.

Thanks...phal