Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:38 PM   #11

CyberShotNut:

Have you seen this review of the P200 on CNET? It seems a bit "harsh", shall we say!

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Cyber_Shot_DSC_P200/4505-6501_7-31273583-2.html?tag=top

lcmb11444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:58 PM   #12

Yeah, I guess everyone has their own opinions and I'll have to say that I've never seen any color problems with the P200. Everyone I know that owns a P200 is very happy with it so I would not let one review change your mind about purchasing a camera. I'm sure there will be more people out there reviewing the newer Sony cameras. The whole problem with Sony cameras is that they get discontinued way too fast, as soon as someone reviewsoneit gets discontinued and replaced with a new model.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:51 PM   #13

Cybershotnut,

Even though Sony Camera's get replaced rather quickly, Steve hasn't reviewed any new pocket sized camera's in a long time. Anyways, the P200 is the best selling digital camera in its class despite mediocre and completely wacky reviews that exist out there. Stevesdigicams has a following, but not as big as dpreview's in the Sony department. However that website did do a review on the SD500 and not the P200 as well. Since they both did do reviews of the P150 (and rightly so since it was for that brief period of time the worlds smallest 7.2MP camera) they should both follow up and review the P200 and point out the advancements or differences because at the moment, the P150 has disappeared from stores and off the Sony website. That CNET review is so totally off base that it goes beyond just simply having their own opinions. When you review any product you have to be as fair and balanced as you can. That review has so many untruths that I have completely lost faith in CNET reviews. However people won't know to do that unless websites like Steve's and dpreview go ahead and tell the truth about the camera's capabilities.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 8:24 PM   #14

thanks for the useful info about both cameras. i was in doubt which one of the 2 i should get but i am sure that i will get the p200 now..
peruinfo.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:16 PM   #15

Peruinfo.org:

I think you have made a good choice in the P200. I wavered between the W7 and P200 but was finally persuaded by the small size, custom white balance options and the phenomenallack ofred eye you getusing it. I have alsoreadadvice in several different forums on how to use and adjust settings in P and M modes for special situations and am very pleased by the overall results.I think it hasquite a bit of manualflexibility for what is basically a Point and Shoot camera. It's alsovery light andeasy to carry around - great for tripsand vacations. The CNET review of the P200 wasridiculously negative - the reviewer gavethe camera much lower ratings than many other users who had posted on the same CNET site.I gather from other forum posters itmay have beenfactually inaccurate and misleading as well - it makes you wonder how muchtime the revieweractuallyspent usingthe camera.Ipay a lot more attention to the advice youfind on these forums from actual full-time users of all these cameras - it's much more informative and helpful.
lcmb11444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 6:07 PM   #16

well i can say that i am now the PROUD owner of the p200 . the camera really shoots amazing looking pictures and is so totally easy to use. you just take the camera out of the box and you start shooting pictures straight and they look amazing! i don't regret one moment that i've bought it!

regards,

Walter
http://peruinfo.org/

peruinfo.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:37 PM   #17

I just took my first pics with the P200, and I am very pleased. I can get some shots without redeye in my blue-eyed Siamese, plus my hubby can just clip it on this belt with this tiny case we got and take pics for me. I am disabled, so he has to take pics of events for me, and a big plus to the P200 is the size, not withstanding the outstanding pics.

The case we got was probably designed for the SD500, or that size camera, but the P200 will fit in there, and my hubby loves how it clips on his belt and is so small. I put the wrist strap in the little inner pocket. It is a Lowepro Rezo 15. I put the curved end in first, and then I can keep the flap open and recharge the battery and still have the camera protected.

Here are my first four pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v519/s...e/Sony%20P200/

rita416 is offline   Reply With Quote