Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:49 PM   #1

:? Aside from the bigger LCD screen are there any other advantages the W7 has over the P200? Are there any disadvantages? I thought they were basically the same camera except for size of LCD andbattery type? The W7sure felt a lot heavier when I tried them both out at the store! The larger LCD sure is nice,though.
lcmb11444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:49 PM   #2

I think they both nice cameras. I had a W1 and I gotawesome pics with.

Just sold thatand I have a W7 on order.

I decided towards the W line, due the 2AA battery design. It make a lot easier to keep taking pictures if you original batteries run out.
Just trow some alkaline !

Also, it is cheaper to have spare rechargeable 2AA's than the proprietary P200 battery,

About the weight...it is not that much, and actually, more weight makes the camera more stable in your hands.

Good luck!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:49 PM   #3

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:35 PM   #4

I have tested the two cameras side by side and it seems that the photos from the W7 are slightly sharper with more detail. The W7 has the trimming feature which the P200 doesn't. On the other hand, the P200 is smaller and has spot AF and manual white balance that the W7 doesn't.
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:32 PM   #5

How do they compare with respect to red eye? I would expect the P200 to be much better than the W7. Is that the case?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:46 PM   #6

How do theycompare in low-lightand flash situations? Do they both use the same slow shutter speed thatwould be improved bymanual setting changes?Also, are they comparable in movie-making ability?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:16 PM   #7

I haven't gone too far in depth testing the movie modes between the two, but from the short clips I've take they both seem similar. The flash on the W7 does cause more red eye, but creates a more even light pattern with less shadows and seems to be a little more powerful than the P200. In auto mode they both seem to chose the same shutter speeds depending on the lighting conditions.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:28 PM   #8

I recently purchased a P200 but have a short period of time to return it without any restocking fee. I generally like it but wonder if youfeel the pictures on the W7 areso much better (sharper, better color, etc) than the P200 that I should consider exchanging it? I plan on usingthe cameraas a general family camera to take family event pictures indoors (so I am somewhat concerned about red eye) and outdoors. The P200 pics look just a bit soft to me but wonder if the W7is that muchdifferent? I've never owned a SONY before so perhaps that's just the way all their Point & Shoot camera pics look. When I looked at the W7and the P200 in the storeI liked the large W7 LCD screen but felt it was noticeably heavier. I was also worried about red eye due to reviews I had read of the W1 and W5. I don't care too much about the difference in battery typeadvantage of the W7 or the custom white balanceand sports scene advantages of the P200. I'm mainly concerned aboutdifferences in the general image qualityof the two cameras. Idefinitely want to end up with one or the other. (Perhaps I'm just engaging in too much "second guessing" and "nit picking" here.) :roll:
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:05 PM   #9

lcmb11444 wrote:
Quote:
I recently purchased a P200 but have a short period of time to return it without any restocking fee. I generally like it but wonder if youfeel the pictures on the W7 areso much better (sharper, better color, etc) than the P200 that I should consider exchanging it?
"MUCH" is way too strong of a word for the difference in image quality between the P200 and W7. The only way you would notice a difference between the two would be to view the pictures at 100% full size and compare the detail of the same photos.

If I had to chose one of the two cameras I would probably have to take the P200 because of its size andto me the manual white balance is important.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:11 PM   #10

CyberShotNut

Thanks for your timeposting information and your opinionson these cameras - it's been a great help. :-)