Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 1, 2005, 6:14 AM   #1

Now I would like to have an explanation. I've got Sony DSC-P51 and I've just taken my 10 000th pic with it.

I use the automatic file naming, which imho is the best way to prevent duplicate file names and to keep track on how many pictures you've taken.

The file name format DSC + 5 digits + file type abbreviation. First it went to DSC00001, DSC00010, DSC00100, then DSC01000, but when it _should have have filename_ DSC10000, it didn't, but it started to recount the files from DSC00001!

Why on Earth is that?! Now I will have loads of duplicate file names, which certainly will cause problems in the future.

Have anybody encountered the same disfunctionality with Sony cameras?!
Jay Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 8:09 AM   #2

That wouldn't be a problem for me because I rename all of my pictures that are important to me and delete the rest.

Also, Sony software automatically places pictures taken in new folders by date so even if they are the same number, they are seperate.

THe only way this would be a problem is if you have every single one of your pictures in a single folder. This is very odd that you don't have them organized yourself in seperate folders as such.

If you do have all your pictures in a single folder, my advice would be for you to create a new folder which you can do by right clicking within the window and selecting create new folder. You can rename it by doing the same. Then start saving all your new pictures in there. Voila, problem solved
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:20 AM   #3

TO JAYZERO ! YOUR MANUAL CLEARLY STATES THAT AFTER 9,999 THE COUNTER GOES BACK TO 00001, SO WHAT IS YOUR DISLIKE?

Also, a little advise on storing pictures - lets say you took a series of pictures in Canada, and another in Texas.

Why dont you setup a folder called SonyXXX, where xxx is your camera model, and another folder for another camera model.

Lets say you have the SonyW5 camera, so you make a SonyW5 folder, within it you create a folder called CanadaApril05, and have pictures numbered DSC0001 thru DSC000100 for example.

Then in your folder C;\SonyW5\Texas you put your pictures you took in texas and they will all have a name DSC001 thru Dsc100 for example.

You can either rename all in the Texas folder to DSCTEX0001-000100, this way you will never have duplicate picture names ! There are very few cameras that will let you continue past 9,999. So, Chill out and dont get mad at Sony, THEY MAKE GOOD CAMERAS !!! Better off learning the computer and APPLY SOME LOGIC!

DON'T Keep all pictures in ONE FOLDER !!!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 3:06 PM   #4

Kona001:

> That wouldn't be a problem for me because I rename all of my pictures that are important to me and delete the rest.

I rename only modified pictures. Otherwise I keep them on their original names.

> Also, Sony software automatically places pictures taken in new folders by date so even if they are the same number, they are seperate.

Usually I use Explorer for transferring and sorting photos.

> THe only way this would be a problem is if you have every single one of your pictures in a single folder.

I don't. I _do_ have sorted my pics by years and occasions. What I'm saying then? I am saying that I'd prefer have all the 5 digits instead 4. I don't get it why there is 5th digit in the filename if it can't be used.a

Thanks for tips anyway.
Old May 5, 2005, 3:13 PM   #5

SalBolzano:

> TO JAYZERO ! YOUR MANUAL CLEARLY STATES THAT AFTER 9,999 THE COUNTER GOES BACK TO 00001, SO WHAT IS YOUR DISLIKE?

My dislike/wondering is/was that why there's fifth digit when it's not used. THAT is illogical, let me say.