Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 1, 2005, 6:58 PM   #1

Help, I bought a Sony Digital Camera and I never got the computer software and Im in need of uploading the video and pictures.. how do I go about this??? and also, what cable is the USB port.. is it possible that it is connected with the tv plug-ins?
ChantelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 7:03 PM   #2
Administrator

You can find manuals and software for your camera on Sony's web site under the support menu choice. Here is an example of how to locate documentation to tell you how to connect it:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select...?DIRECTOR=DOCS

You'll see a software and drivers menu choice there, too (if you want to download and use Sony's software).

Note that you don't have to use the software that comes with the camera. When attached via USB, your camera will appear as a removable drive. So, you can copy the files from the folders on the camera's media, just like any other drive.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:10 PM   #3

So if I just plug my camera into the computer a program should come up???? I don't know if I have it plugged in right then...

I only received one plug-in cable and that was the cable to plug in to the tv.. but it has an extra black plug-in which i figured was the USB. Thank you for helping me .. it is greatly appreciated.. Im just not great at this stuff!

Old May 1, 2005, 7:22 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd have to look at your manual to see (that's why I gave you a link to where you can find it). ;-)

There tends to be differences between camera models on how to connect and use them. Some require the mode dial to be in a certain position, etc. Some use a common cable for both video and USB, but most have havetwo separate cables. You'll need to check your manual.

No, you won't necessarily see a program come up. That depends on how you have Windows configured.

What you should get (if the computer is recognizing the camera) is the ability to see your camera under "My Computer", just like you would any other disk drive. It will have folders, and one of the underlying folders will contain your images.

You can then tell Windows how you want it to behave when you connect your camera. By default, it's probably going to invoke the Windows Camera Wizard. But, you can tell it to perform certain actions for you.

Personally, I don't like Windows trying to do anything when I connect a camera. I prefer to copy the files manually (just like I'd copy files from any other folder, on any other drive).

Once you've checked the manual to make sure you've got the camera connected properly, and the mode dial in the correct location for transfers, do this:

Go into"My Computer", and you should see your camera. Right click on it and select Properties.Then, you'll have an "Autoplay" tab under Properties that lets you tell Windows what action to take when it sees it (start Windows Camera Wizard, copy files to a folder, etc.). This assumes you're using a newer version of Windows (for example XP).

Just select Pictures from the drop down list in the Autoplay tab and tell it what action you want it to take.

Personally, I just go to the drive associated with my media, click into the folder containing the images, select them, and use Edit, Copy (then I paste them into a different folder on my PC's hard disk drive) -- But, some users like the Autoplay feature better.

Old May 1, 2005, 7:31 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S. -- I'll move this post down to our Sony Forum, since your questions are related to a Sony camera. If you can't determine how to get it working, I'd make sure to let members knowwhat camera model you have.

Old May 1, 2005, 7:41 PM   #6

Thank you soo much.. i really appreciate this!!!!