Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 2, 2005, 3:24 PM   #1

I got my P200 today. Of course I needed to know just how much more detail and resolution I can get with my new 7Mpix CCD, so I did a simple test:

I took the same picture with both the 5Mpix and the 7Mpix setting. Then, I cropped the same area from both original images. Below is the test image (resized and compressed) which shows the area I chose to take a closer look at:
Attached Images

HeZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 3:27 PM   #2

Ok.. I had two crops, the other one being slightly larger in size (from the 7Mpix image). I then resized both these crops in Paint Shop Pro to exactly 1024 pixels wide, also sharpening them both once.

Here is the result from the 5Mpix original:
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 3:27 PM   #3

..and here, the result from the 7Mpix original:
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 3:28 PM   #4

..and finally, a crop from both of these, side by side for comparison:

Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 3:33 PM   #5

*cough* ... now, would someone mind telling me what's going on here? There is virtually NO DIFFERENCE in detail or image quality between the 5Mpix and 7Mpix mode, when magnified enough.

Now don't get me wrong here, the image quality of the P200 is superb.. I also have a F717, and the P200 actually produces a far better 5Mpix image than the F717 does (which is a 5Mpix camera) which I find pretty amazing.

Still, why the heck is there no difference in the 7Mpix image, compared to the 5Mpix, aside from about +900Kbytes in size???

I find it pretty pointless to shoot in 7Mpix now.. as the gains are minimal, if not non-existent.

Am I missing something here? :?

Old May 2, 2005, 4:05 PM   #6

There is a slight difference in detail between 5 and 7 megapixel, comparing the two that way is hard to see the difference. See my photos of a resolution chart at 100% crop of 5 and 7 megapixels: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ring+p100+p150
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:45 PM   #7

Were these pictuires taken in "FINE" mode to reduce compression?

If both pictures are exactly 1024 pixels wide, then the 7mp picture should show less image since the DPI (or pixel per inch) is higher. But you have them both at seemly the same size, when in reality they are not.

Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:32 PM   #8

Pic-It wrote:
Quote:
Were these pictuires taken in "FINE" mode to reduce compression?

If both pictures are exactly 1024 pixels wide, then the 7mp picture should show less image since the DPI (or pixel per inch) is higher. But you have them both at seemly the same size, when in reality they are not.

Of course, I always shoot in FINE mode.

And the reason the crops are the same size is that I ENLARGED them both to that size, 1024 pixels wide. But since the 7Mpix source crop was at that time larger, and contained "more detail", it should show in those 1024 pixel enlargements. However, I fail to see the difference in quality. Ok, maybe it's there... but VERY, VERY subtle.
Old May 3, 2005, 2:01 AM   #9

If you were to take the 5MP image and blow it up to the size of the 7MP picture, you would get a more accurate answer to your question of "What is the difference in quality?"
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:17 AM   #10

OK let's do that. In fact, let's take the same picture with 3M, 5M and 7M settings.

So, I took this same image with all three resolutions, from a tripod. Just for reference, here's the test image (not original size of course, but resized to 1024x768). Note the house far away in the center of the image - that's where we're going to zoom into later.
Attached Images