Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 4, 2005, 10:32 PM   #1

I recently replaced my old DSC-707 with a new DSC-T7....

With the old 707, I used a PNY PCMCIA Slot 4 in 1 Card reader to easily transfer the photo/video files....

The new T7 came with a 32MB Memory Stick Duo and a Memory Stick Duo Adaptor....

It pretty much worked fine as usual....

Well, 32MB just didn't cut it for high res pix, so I headed over to Ritz Camera to get sumthin bigger...

I wanted 256MB at the very least, but the salesman talked me into getting a 512MB stick:G

He gave me a choice between a Memory Stick Duo Pro and a Memory Stick Duo pro High Speed....

When I asked the difference, he said the only thing I would really notice camerawise would be unlimited recording when shooting in video mode, letting me record until the stick filled up rather than just allowing a short period of recording at a time....

Although I rarely shoot video on my still cams, I figured it would still be worth the extra $10 bucks over the regular Pro

Anyhoo, I popped it in and started taking a bunch of high resphotos

After about 40 shots, I popped it into my old PNY PCMCIA Adaptor and got the little green arrow thingy on the bottom right corner of the screen as usual, but the drive wouldn't appear:?

I pulled it out and popped it in a few times, but still got nothing:sad:

I tried the old 32MB memory Stick Duo again and it worked just fine....

Now, the PNY PCMCIAreader is a 4 in 1 Adaptor (SD, MMC, SM and Memory Stick)....

Does this mean I need to get another adaptor that reads Memory Stick Pro High Speed in order for it to work?

I thought these new sticks were supposed to be backwards compatible with standard Memory Stick readers:?

Rick
98 SNAKE EATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 10:41 PM   #2

No, alot of the older memory stick readers and printers are not compatible with the memory stick pro. My PNY memory stick reader doesn't work with the pro sticks. Time for a new reader, or just use the dock and the USB cable to your computer.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanx for the info

Now, about the new adaptors...

Will one that just says "Memory Stick Pro" work or will I have to find one that says "Memory Stick Pro High Speed":?

I have yet to see one that says "High Speed" on it, so I'm guessing just "Pro" will be fine?

Also, are there any PCMCIA adaptors that have separate slots for "Duo" stick so I don't have to use the supplied Sony Adaptor as well?

Rick

Old May 4, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4

The ones that say pro will work for standard memory sticks, memory stick pro and pro high speed. I don't know of any readers that have a slot for a duo without the adapter.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:29 PM   #5

Kewl, thanx again....

I think I'll go with the 6 in 1 Adaptor from Sandisk

It's compatible with SD, XD-PictureCard, MMC, SM, Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro...

It's also around $25, which is less than I paid for my PNY adaptor many years ago....

Sandisk has a 12 in 1 USB type adaptor that has separate Memory Stick and Memory Stick Duo Slots....

I'd jump on it if it was PCMCIA

Thanx again for the help

Rick