Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 15, 2005, 11:20 PM   #1

If cost is not an issue (can get the V3 for about $500 and the 828 from Sony for about $680) and I want to do IR photography which is the better camera ? I like the manual focus ring on the 828, but seems like the 828 is older technology than the V3, somewhat more noisy, but perhaps a better lens. I optical zoom to about 2x and am shooting F2.8 1/60s at ISO 400 on my FZ20. Wish I could combine the image stabilization of the FZ20 with the Nightframing of the Sony cams, but no such luck since they didn't include it with the H1. Anyone with experience with both cams that can recommend either ?
pyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 11:40 PM   #2

I don't own an F828, but I have compared my friends F828 to my V3. For its size and price, it's a great camera. The only reason I never purchased an F828 is because of the fairly high levels of noise and alot of purple fringing around highlights. I also own an F717 and I prefer the "out of the camera" images from it over the F828.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 2:59 PM   #3

Hi

If you perfere the out of camera photos from ur f717 what about ur v3 is the f717 still better or v3 just would like to know as i am looking at v3 or f828 if f717 is better then i think ill will probably wait for soething new.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 6:00 PM   #4

The F717 and the V3 are very similar in photo quality. The V3 is newer technology, faster auto-focus, a little over 2 megapixels of resolution more than the F717, larger LCD, RAW mode, a better quality movie mode, more shot burst mode, ability to accept CF cards, much smaller, faster flash recharge and faster write times to the memory. The only thing the F717 excels in is low light photography because of its large f2.0-f2.4 lens.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:34 AM   #5

Are there any new sony still cameras that have nightshot? these 2 second IR exposures are a pain and noisy. I don't want to have to remove the hot filter. Some people say it is easy to remove on a sigma.

Would the V3 with an IR filter do well ?
eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 9:33 PM   #6

eyeguy wrote:
Quote:
Are there any new sony still cameras that have nightshot? these 2 second IR exposures are a pain and noisy. I don't want to have to remove the hot filter. Some people say it is easy to remove on a sigma.

Would the V3 with an IR filter do well ?
The V3 and F828 have nightshot (and nightframing).
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote