Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 22, 2005, 5:44 AM   #1

:| 2 pretty similar camera's which are aimin for the same range of customers....so at least according to specs who is gonna be the winner?(im not so good at decifering all those numbers they write in the specs sheet):idea:

chef
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 10:13 AM   #2

Could be embarrasing for the Sony lol. S1 has proven itself to be one of the best ultra zooms, now the S2 is sure to improve on that, adding an AF assist lamp and a slightly larger screen as well as the 5MP etc. Unproven ground for Sony in this territory especially without their favoured Zeiss lens, so for now i reckon the Canon will come out on top.

I'll look forward to seeing them go head to head, tho maybe for the S2 a better dual would be with the Panasonic Fz5 :blah:

frythechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:36 PM   #3

I have a Canon S1, Nikon 8800, Panasonic Lumix FZ-20, and Panasonic Lumix FZ5. (I also have had several OLY Ultrazooms that don't have IS.)

The Panasonic Lumix FZs abolutely put the finicky/aggravating Canon to shame. The Canon S1 has the *worst* autofocus I have everseen on a digital camera. Ifyou zoom faster than a crawl it gets lost and cannot focus. It can't focus in low light either.

The Panasonics will kill off both the Canon and the Sony Image staibilized ultrazooms. They even beat the Nikon because the Nikon at 12X drops to about an F5. They also focus faster than the Nikon.

I love Sony as I haveseveral Sony digital cameras (F717, T1, W1, P10, and V1).But they are too little - too late on the H1. The Pany's are just too good IMHO.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 11:18 PM   #4

I wouldn't base your opinion on your testing of the S1...I just had the Panasonic and the S2 side by side in my hand and they both equally stabilized and zoomed on subjects, therefore I don't know how you can criticize this feature...Test pictures of the H1 and S2 were released, and the Sony takes the lead easily...IMO it comes down to the Panasonic and H1, the S2, regardless of all the bells and whistles will not compete...From a cosmetic standpoint the pana and sony are keepers, the Canon looks identical to the S1 and just looks too cheap for my liking...
van_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 11:16 AM   #5

The Canon S1 was a piece of crap. the worst digicam I have ever owned. So I *sure* have no desire to even look at an S2.

The Panasonic has much better flash range than the Sony H1. Plus the big LCD on the Sony has horrible resolution. Much less than my Spny T1 and my W1. The 2 icch LCD on the FZ20 is a sharp as a tack.

Sorry but as much as a Sony lover as I am, the HC1 is jjust a day late and a dollar short., at least for me.

Plus the H1 doesn't even hava a Zeis lens. the Pany has a Leica.

I recently purchased a pana FZ5 for my over-seas travel camera. It's super. Decided not to even wait on the H1.

Chrystie

Old May 29, 2005, 10:57 AM   #6

Why do people keep knocking the fact that the H1 does not have a Zeiss lense? This shows that some of you don't realize that the Zeiss lenses on the cybershot cameras are all manufactured by SONY! and simply branded with the Zeiss name...Therefore, the lense on the H1 comes from the very same place that all the Zeiss lenses come from, it's just that Sony is saving money in royalty fees paid out to Zeiss...By not branding the lense, does not knock the camera whatsoever...
Old May 30, 2005, 1:49 PM   #7

Not so. I realize that *Sony* manufactures the lenses according to Zeiss standards and process. Zeiss has refused to santion the ultra-zoom and moving lenses it entails from what I have read. Hence SDony can't use the Zeiss name on the lens.

Sorry, but as I have said my main problem here is the Sony is too little far too late. The purple fringing with the F282 doesn't give me a warm fuzzy they cam pull off that ultra-zoom lens either. Plus the disappointing flash range and low resolution LCD puts it in the also ran ctatgory compared to the Panasonic Lumix line.

So my pointhas always beenthe question isn't whether the Canon or the Sony will win. Thst'a really a non-issue. The Sony is already dead out of the gate.... Sony waited too, toolate. The Panasonic FZ20 already stomps both Canon and Sony. Canon lost when they put out the S1..the camera with the worst autofocus that I have ever owned.

Chrystie

Old May 30, 2005, 5:29 PM   #8

I agree that the Panasonic beats out the S2 as I tested both personally...However, I think you are jumping the gun before even testing the H1 or reading professional reviews...
Old May 30, 2005, 6:52 PM   #9

The camera Manufacturer that has really imploded in the ultra-zoom catagory is Olympus.Since their wonderful first IS ultrazoom several years ago, they refuse to put IS in any of their ultrazooms. So now Panasonic, Minolta, Canon, Nikon, and Sony will all have IS ultrazooms and Olympus will fall way behind in a catagory they originated. But then Olympus has really made some dumb calls the last few years. I stopped buying theor cams when they went to that damned XD card. They just seemd to have missed the marketing boat with non IS ultrazooms and the very expensive 4/3rds SLRs and lenses. Canon is wiping the floor up with them with the digital Rebel.

Chrystie
Old May 30, 2005, 10:11 PM   #10

I think lots of people wonder what has happened to Olympus in the last few years.

"Way back when", Olympus had the great little D-400/460 series and the popular D-490, and came out with the hugely popular 2100uz (I still have one of those). Seems like after that they threw common sense out the window. Rather than expand on that and develop a "3100uz" and so on, they dumped it and went with the 700 series which has never been hugely popular and usually only gets "ok but not great" reviews.

They've come out with a few "neat" little cameras lately like the verve, the E300 is innovative (but doesn't come close to the Canons), etc. But I wonder if they'll ever get anyone in there who was an innovative as the crew was back in the 2100uz days.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote