Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1

When I decided to upgrade my 2 Mp Canon Powershot to a newer model with higher resolution, I did lots of research; these were the most informative articles:
http://cameras.co.uk/details/sony-dsc-w5.cfm
(this DSC-W5 was the only camera with their highest rating and a 7 page glowing review)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dscw5.asp
* http://www.digitalcamerabasics.com/sonydscw5.htm
* http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...key=sony_dscw5
* http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...z&show=all
* http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3004
* http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/...aspx?sku=DSCW5

Although some owners commented that most pictures blurred if the subject (or photographer) moved, there seemed to be a consensus that this was an awesome camera. Four days ago I evaluated and checked the DSC-W5 out at the store before buying it; Iwas delighted with my new camera! I've taken some pictures that turned out well, but I want to put it through challenging shooting conditions. I used a 35mm Minolta XD-11 with its aperture and shutter priority to take some great pictures, so I want to have some manual control. However, I think that I will primarily photograph inthe automatic modes. I also want the camera to be easy for my wife to use by herself (I now set up the camera for her even when she's in automatic mode).

This morning I was looking for information about how many fps are needed to produce good video from the DSC-W5, as well as the types of Memory Sticks available. Somewhere I read an editor's review that although the camera has lots of nice features, it takes poor pictures; that's why I'll need to put it through the paces. In my research I found several comments that it takes poor pictures—presumably because the image blurred.

OK; everyone please lay down your cards. Is this an awesome, easy to use camera that takes great pictures—or is it camera that takes poor pictures despite many enticing features. Why do you love it or hate it? I've read many of the doubts on the DSC-W5 that others have aired at this forum. I will appreciate your comments as I evaluate it myself during the 30 day return period.

Thanks!

GregPing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:34 PM   #2

If you've read a review that says "it takes poor pictures" why on earth would you bother getting it? Does that make any sense?
Everyone on this Sony forum seems to come here to criticize and complain about these cameras yet everyone for some reason continues to buy them and sometimes it seems so they can join in the complaining.
I don't know what people expect from a compact camera but I think they expect the Sony DSC cameras to create pictures magically. I have one, but I understand what it is and what I can use it for.
After reading all of the doubts and concerns, why you would ever consider this camera is beyond me.
Nocontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

I'll take a shot at this :

In AUTO mode this camera primarily uses 1/40th to 1/50th of a second shutter speeds for indoor pictures.

Now, if you understand what this implies then maybe you should consider this camera.

If you do not understand what this implies, then it may not be the right camera for you. (You can research it, but now you are looking at more than just a point & shoot camera!)

:?
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:05 AM   #4

Well summarised Pic-It.

v8griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:23 PM   #5

Thanks, Pic-It; that explains why it seems to be a great camera from the specs, but people often complain that people-shots are blurred. I couldn't understand why the camera took such sharplandscape shots (which were static and usually in good lighting) but my people shots weren't. My shots of kids at the playground were also very good--even when the kids were on swings!

That being said, should I consider a new camera? Are there any that you'd recommend? I do try to hold the camera steady when taking indoor pics either with or without flash, so I'm not sure of what else I can do to take reasonably convenient and spontaneous indoor pictures (especially of my 5 year old son). My only flash option on this camera is the built-in flash that illuminates about 14 feet.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:07 PM   #6

I originally bought the W5 to replace an old Sony F55, which I liked very much. I was really expecting the newer camera to be great, due to its specs. I have been taking both 35mm pics for ages and digital pics successfully for years. This W5 stunk, big time, at getting clear pictures. I read all the info about settings, blah, blah, blah. I wanted a camera to take clear pics without me having to reinvent the process. I returned it and got a Canon A510 at about half the price. It takes beautiful, clear pictures with good color and NO BLUR.So do yourself a favor and get a camera which allows youto easilytake a picture of a child or pet, and has the options to do more if you chose to.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:30 PM   #7

That being said...

I have taken well over 2000 pictures in all sorts of conditions from bright outdoors to low light birthday pictures with no flash (to see the candles), to macro, to nighttime shots (and have been trying to find time to convert some to post in these forums...)

And I can honestly say that I have had less than 10 blurred and or misfocused pictures I can blame on the camera. And I use manual controls about 1/2 the time.

Now 10 / 2000 = 0.005% not a bad average

That is my experience.

Some people seem to have trouble with it, but I am very satisfied with it.

And I'm not one to fuss on controls for 2 minutes before taking a shot either... When I want that much control I go back to my SLR, no D yet...sigh
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:38 AM   #8

Sounds good, Pic-It. See the attached file for a classic example of a flash shot that should NOT have been blurry!

:?What model camera are you speaking of that I should try? That may be the camera with whichyou've taken such good pictures--but it looks like you bought it more than 6 months ago, so the model has undoubtedly changed. I'm looking for something in about the 5 Mp range that also takes some MPEG.

Thanks foryour comments & suggestions!

Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:53 PM   #9

I cleaned up your photo a little with focus magic. You are right, that picture should not have been blurry. I sold my cousin a W7 a few weeks ago and he's been having the same problem, every picture he took with it was blurry and every picture I took with it looked perfect.Come to find out he hasn't been half-pressing the shutter button until the focus light locks. That is the most important thing to remember with all newer Sony cameras. You have to be absolutely positive that the green focus light locks steady before fully pressing down the shutter button.
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:16 AM   #10

I use a W1, which is essentially a W5 now, with only cosmetic changes as far as I can tell (to bring down manufacturing costs no dought).

I probably do pre-focus my shots by reflex.

I did notice when the camera is using the focus light the focus lock is a little longer, I never forced it, I always let it lock before continuing with the shot.

I know I tried other models with no focus assist light & in the same conditions (low light), they would take longer to focus, or plain refuse to make a focus lock (I'm talking here of HP & some Fuji models) & if I did force a picture, it would of course be out of focus. Which made me decide to use a camera with a focus assist light.

I'll make some tests later & post my findings...