Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:02 AM   #1

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

Now that a thorough review is now online, what do you guys make of this camera? theres been alot of discussion about it, i'm impressed by it's review, well done to Sony i'd say. Alot of people (including me) were unsure about the lack of a Zeiss lens but they've done a very good job by the looks of it, although the camera is too bulky for my liking, but i'm sure alot of people will not find that a problem.

Matt
frythechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:55 PM   #2

You know that there are many people who try to criticise Sony and the Ziess lenses by saying that they 'aren't really Zeiss' but are 'manufacturered by Sony who have simply licenced the Zeiss name'.

But, if that was the case, why wouldn't Sony have slapped the Zeiss name on the H1 lens. It would have stopped a lot of criticism of the H1 because it DOESN'T have a Zeiss lens.

I think this shows that there are real Zeiss lenses on some Sony cameras but they don't have to be.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:28 AM   #3

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
You know that there are many people who try to criticise Sony and the Ziess lenses by saying that they 'aren't really Zeiss' but are 'manufacturered by Sony who have simply licenced the Zeiss name'.

But, if that was the case, why wouldn't Sony have slapped the Zeiss name on the H1 lens. It would have stopped a lot of criticism of the H1 because it DOESN'T have a Zeiss lens.

I think this shows that there are real Zeiss lenses on some Sony cameras but they don't have to be.
Why wouldn't Sony have slapped the Zeiss name on the H1 lens? Simple - COST!
van_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:30 AM   #4

Or...that since it isn't a Zeiss lens they couldn't engage in false advertising! The Zeiss lenses on Sony cameras are not just ordinary Sony lenses that Sony paid to have the Zeiss name put on them...they are really Zeiss lenses!

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote