Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:37 PM   #1

Hi everyone
I am currently looking for a ultrazoom for both indoors and outdoors photographs. I have been following the FZ series for a long time and had decided to get a FZ-5 after deciding that Minolta was not as good as the Panasonic. But with the arrival of S2 and H1, the compition has increased somewhat, so please advise me which one to get.
Please note that all cameras are stabilized 5M with 36~432 lens(12x)

Furthermore I would rate myself as a serious amuter, I occasionally go into apperture priority and sometimes shutter priority on my film cameras, with bravely venturing into Manual mode (including manual focus) on my older Cameras.. I have used SLRs and Rangefinders

The following is what I like /dislike about all of them
Panasonic:
Lower Price as they are around for some time
Dislikes: No Manual Focus
Limited Shutter Options (8 ~ 1/2000)
Weak Flash with no hot shoe
Propretiery Battery

Sony:
Likes: OK Lens although though not a Carl Zies (2.8 ~ 3.7)
Solid(Sturdy) Build
Larger LCD (2.5')
Slow Shutter Speeds (30 ~ 1/1000)
Dislikes: Purple Fringing
No Orientation Sensor (correct me if I am wrong)
Memory Stick

Canon:
Good Lens (2.7 ~ 3.5)
Variety of Shutter Speeds (15 ~ 1/3200)
Dislikes: No Reviews on Net

From the above comparison please dont think that I have a bone to pick with the FZ line, in my opinion they are great cameras and I was saving for like a year to get one of those (i saved and i spent) but now when i am ready to get one, good compitition had arrived.

BTW: As this will be my first real digital camera, so I am not biased towards SD and Memory Stick, but you cant forgo the fact that Memory Stick is more expensive.
Further more as I donot live in US so I dont have an option to walk in a store and test them. Plus as I would be asking someone else to get one from me so returning is also not an option.

Thanx in advance for the help.

Awais
Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:32 AM   #2

mutated wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone
I am currently looking for a ultrazoom for both indoors and outdoors photographs. I have been following the FZ series for a long time and had decided to get a FZ-5 after deciding that Minolta was not as good as the Panasonic. But with the arrival of S2 and H1, the compition has increased somewhat, so please advise me which one to get.
Please note that all cameras are stabilized 5M with 36~432 lens(12x)

Furthermore I would rate myself as a serious amuter, I occasionally go into apperture priority and sometimes shutter priority on my film cameras, with bravely venturing into Manual mode (including manual focus) on my older Cameras.. I have used SLRs and Rangefinders

The following is what I like /dislike about all of them
Panasonic:
Lower Price as they are around for some time
Dislikes: No Manual Focus
Limited Shutter Options (8 ~ 1/2000)
Weak Flash with no hot shoe
Propretiery Battery

Sony:
Likes: OK Lens although though not a Carl Zies (2.8 ~ 3.7)
Solid(Sturdy) Build
Larger LCD (2.5')
Slow Shutter Speeds (30 ~ 1/1000)
Dislikes: Purple Fringing
No Orientation Sensor (correct me if I am wrong)
Memory Stick

Canon:
Good Lens (2.7 ~ 3.5)
Variety of Shutter Speeds (15 ~ 1/3200)
Dislikes: No Reviews on Net

From the above comparison please dont think that I have a bone to pick with the FZ line, in my opinion they are great cameras and I was saving for like a year to get one of those (i saved and i spent) but now when i am ready to get one, good compitition had arrived.

BTW: As this will be my first real digital camera, so I am not biased towards SD and Memory Stick, but you cant forgo the fact that Memory Stick is more expensive.
Further more as I donot live in US so I dont have an option to walk in a store and test them. Plus as I would be asking someone else to get one from me so returning is also not an option.

Thanx in advance for the help.

Awais
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either camera...Each camera has pros and cons over its competitor which makes for an interesting matchup between the three 12x cameras you mention...Personally, I purchased the H1, but the Panasonic was my 2nd choice...I had the luxury of testing all the 12x cameras except for the H1 and if Sony didn't release the H1 I would have purchased the Panasonic...I did not like the S2 when I compared it side by side with the Panasonic...There are a ton of threads in other forums in regards to the S2 and so far I would say feedback is about 50/50 negative/positive...I pickup my H1 today or tomorrow, I will let you know how things go!
van_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:27 AM   #3

Thanx Van
Your recommendation was really helpfull
As I stated before the lack of a canon review is a turnoff

Anyway Please let me know about the results from H1

Awais
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:36 PM   #4

I'm looking at the same three and leaning towards the S2 at this point. I think it has a slightly better lens than the H1, many more features, faster burst mode and the NR isn't too heavy handed.

There's one S2 review up: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

I am worried about the S2's AF speed though.
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:24 AM   #5

maxx2 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at the same three and leaning towards the S2 at this point. I think it has a slightly better lens than the H1, many more features, faster burst mode and the NR isn't too heavy handed.

There's one S2 review up: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

I am worried about the S2's AF speed though.
Just curious to know why you think it has a better lense?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:37 PM   #6

The H1 lens seems to exhibit more CA than the S2.

See attached crops from the dcresource H1 vs. S2 shootout (first two images in the shootout). Exactly the same focal length and exposure settings, shots taken within minutes of each other and very accurately framed. S2 on the left, H1 on the right. First pair show differences in lens CA, second pair hightlight lost detail due to Sony's more aggressive NR.

Maxx
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:30 PM   #7

There's a "quick review" (which is more thorough than most) of the DSC-H1 up at: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H1/H1A.HTM

Maxx
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8

In the images posted above, I find the colours in the Sony's much more 'pleasing' then the results of the S2...I've noticed this in every test shot, the Canon's images are dull in comparison to the vibrant Sony colours...to each their own though...
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:39 PM   #9

van_city wrote:
Quote:
In the images posted above, I find the colours in the Sony's much more 'pleasing' then the results of the S2...I've noticed this in every test shot, the Canon's images are dull in comparison to the vibrant Sony colours...to each their own though...
The Sony's default saturation seems higher. I don't think it's as accurate, but most people prefer more vibrant colours.

Maxx
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:45 AM   #10

Ugh, so that's why the Sony images look softer... aggressive noise reduction postprocessing on the camera?
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote