Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:00 PM   #1

Is there a way to change the default setting of 1/40th of a second for the automatic mode of the P200 with flash. This camera is the one I will buy if there is a way to do that.
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:01 PM   #2

That's what the manual mode is for. On full auto you have no way to overwrite some settings.
dister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:23 PM   #3

Well I didn't want to have to use the manuel mode just to get flash photos worth keeping. The P200 is ment for more of a point n shoot anyways, therefore why should I have to switch it to manuel to use the flash?
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:31 PM   #4

It's still pretty much P&S in manual mode with a flash. Just set your aperture at wide open and select a higher shutter speed. The exposure will be fine within the flash's range.

Maxx
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:20 AM   #5

Don't know if P200 is same but in auto mode if you give the zoom + button a quick press the shutter speed sets to 1/50. Hope this helps
rockyglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:29 AM   #6

rockyglw wrote:
Quote:
Don't know if P200 is same but in auto mode if you give the zoom + button a quick press the shutter speed sets to 1/50. Hope this helps
Hmmm, on my P150 when Itap the zoom + button in Auto mode, it zooms for some reason. :roll:
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:12 PM   #7

Yes of course it zooms when the button is pressed,thats probably why its called a zoom button!!! But only a small amount. This should still allow the picture to be framed by moving back from the subject slightly. It does cause the the shutter speed to increase from 1/40 to 1/50. I accept that its not a very satisfactory way of taking flash pictures. This is whay I keep the Sony for carrying around for every day stuff and use a Canon 350D when I want manual controls etc.
rockyglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:09 PM   #8

rockyglw wrote:
Quote:
Yes of course it zooms when the button is pressed,thats probably why its called a zoom button!!! But only a small amount. This should still allow the picture to be framed by moving back from the subject slightly. It does cause the the shutter speed to increase from 1/40 to 1/50. I accept that its not a very satisfactory way of taking flash pictures. This is whay I keep the Sony for carrying around for every day stuff and use a Canon 350D when I want manual controls etc.
I see. The camera ups the shutter speed slightly because there is some zoom (to reduce the chance of blur due to camera shake which is magnified with zoom). I hadn't noticed that. I just use manual mode and set the shutter speed to 1/100. The flash output is automagically adjusted to produce the proper exposure.

Maxx
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:28 AM   #9

maxx2 wrote:
Quote:
I just use manual mode and set the shutter speed to 1/100. The flash output is automagically adjusted to produce the proper exposure.

Maxx

Yes, but when you go into manual mode is there not a notation icon in the lower right (such as -2 OEV) indicating that the camera believes this exposure will be underexposed by 2 stops. Of course in manual mode there is no adjustment available for OEV.

So you are saying that the camera will make this a correct exposure at the higher shutter speed when the flash is utilized? If this sounds skeptical, it is only because my P200 is new to me and I have not noted any real control of the flash's output. That is why I bought the Vivitar 120 slave to bolster an anemic output.

I am only trying to learn about manual mode from you, for there is so little in the manual about using modes. It is like they are not concerned with user understanding.
originalstarlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:33 PM   #10

originalstarlite wrote:
Quote:
maxx2 wrote:
Quote:
I just use manual mode and set the shutter speed to 1/100. The flash output is automagically adjusted to produce the proper exposure.

Maxx

Yes, but when you go into manual mode is there not a notation icon in the lower right (such as -2 OEV) indicating that the camera believes this exposure will be underexposed by 2 stops. Of course in manual mode there is no adjustment available for OEV.

So you are saying that the camera will make this a correct exposure at the higher shutter speed when the flash is utilized? If this sounds skeptical, it is only because my P200 is new to me and I have not noted any real control of the flash's output. That is why I bought the Vivitar 120 slave to bolster an anemic output.

I am only trying to learn about manual mode from you, for there is so little in the manual about using modes. It is like they are not concerned with user understanding.
The meter is indicating the background exposure (what isn't in range of the flash) when the flash is on. My SLR does the same. Your subject will be properly exposed by the flash (if it's within range). When it's dark, the flashwill fireatfull strength (although you can adjust up or down a notch in the Flash Level menu), and it fires for a period of time much less than the fastest shutter speed, so the shutter speed will makelittle to nodifference to the subject's flash exposure. What you will notice is the background will get darker with ahigher shutter speed. When there is lots of ambient light, the flash does automatically throttle down so that it doesn't overexpose the subject, or cause the background to be darker than it is (like a fill flash).

Give ita try. Take a couple of flash pics in manual mode while adjusting the shutter speed. Because the Sony's use the electronic shutter built into the CCD for controlling exposure (as opposed to the mechincal shutter which is only used toprevent smear while reading the CCD, or to get a second dark image for NR), it will sync with the flash up to 1/1000. That's faster than most (if not all) DSLRs!

Maxx