Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 2, 2003, 11:38 AM   #1

Default 717 for sports

Anyone using the 717 for sports? If so are you satisfied and could you post a link to some pics? Thanks.
tom_myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2003, 4:21 PM   #2

Default sporting 717

It is not really sporting, but I take lots of shots of model airplanes, particularly high speed models being hand launched. I attempt to get the model just leaving the hands of the launcher. The shutter lag even after a half press to focus, is absolutely dreadful. Even knowing the hobby as well as I do, and anticipating the action of the launcher, I miss at least two thirds of all shots with the model being totally or partly out of the frame. I like the camera very much, but as a sporting camera for catching action, I regard it as a disaster. Having said that, I once owned the highly regarded Olympus C2100 which is said to have very fast shutter response, and found it pretty poor as well. The Nikon 5700 is supposed to have a fast response [low lag] setting option, but I have no personal experience of that camera.
The results the 717 can produce are stunning, and it is a wonderful camera to use, but no good if the bird has flown, so to speak.
I hope this helps.
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 1:35 AM   #3

Too late, already bought it!!

It is a difficult camera to use for sports, but with work I get excellent results. I wish it had less lag and faster AF, but its a awesome camera. This shot was taken 19 rows back, no flash, indoors.

tom_myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 4:24 PM   #4

Try this with the 717. Set it up to manual and manual focus. This should prevent shutter lag after half pressing button,
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 3:13 AM   #5

Default Shutter lag

Thanks for your comment. The siginificant word is "should"!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 5:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
Try this with the 717. Set it up to manual and manual focus. This should prevent shutter lag after half pressing button,
Well Graham, I took your advice whilst out flying my toys tonight and tried manual exposure and manual focus, and it made not one bit of apparent difference to the shutter lag compared with holding a half press, then finally releasing at the point of the action. But then why should it make any difference? After all, at a half press, all the exposure and focussing is done and locked. I also tried AE lock, but still no change to the shutter lag. The secret remains one of anticipation of the action, and accepting that at least half the action shots will be missed.

I still love the camera. I cannot think of a non-pro camera that I would rather have.