Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:45 AM   #1

I am not a professional photographer but I am a lot more then an amatuer...I take mostly shots of my kids (close ups and sports) I do a lot of cropping and printing so I am looking for excellent picture quality and great zoom ability...hence, the high zoom choices. I currently have a Fujifinepix 2800 and have been pleased with my results-but am looking to upgrade. I tend to grab the camera for quick shots of the kids--so I need something with fast power up and no shutter lag between pics (don't want to miss that child doing something "cute")I've been doing loads of research and have narrowed it down to the 3 above--if anyone has any other suggestions or info to push me towards one of the above cameras more then the other--I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Look forward to reading all your replies!

aspung
aspung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:45 PM   #2

I'm in the same boat (also considering the Panasonic FZ5). I'm waiting for some more detailed reviews on the S2 before making a decision.
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:03 PM   #3

aspung wrote:
Quote:
I am not a professional photographer but I am a lot more then an amatuer...I take mostly shots of my kids (close ups and sports) I do a lot of cropping and printing so I am looking for excellent picture quality and great zoom ability...hence, the high zoom choices. I currently have a Fujifinepix 2800 and have been pleased with my results-but am looking to upgrade. I tend to grab the camera for quick shots of the kids--so I need something with fast power up and no shutter lag between pics (don't want to miss that child doing something "cute")I've been doing loads of research and have narrowed it down to the 3 above--if anyone has any other suggestions or info to push me towards one of the above cameras more then the other--I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Look forward to reading all your replies
I too was having a hard time figuring out which one I wanted. I ended up going with the Sony H1. My needs may be different from others but this is what I really wanted
Big LCD
A large zoom
Movies that can play as big as card
Movies that are 640x480 30fps
The Panasonic's movie mode was horrible and the Canon LCD was 1.8 which is horrible but it would swivel. From what I have seen with Canon they tend to take a softer picture as far as sharpness goes. I have also been searching for any info I could get. I have now read 2 reviews that weren't bad but I really rely more on what people say who own them. Also this forum doesn't really have many people that have bought it so I suggest that you try this forum. They have posted a fair amount of picture for you to visit, make sure you go back a number of pages for they get lots of post.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009

hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:26 AM   #4

I purchased the H1 over the S2 for MANY reasons...I would suggest you go to a local store and take a look at both cameras and compare zoom/focus, you will see who the clear winner is...So far, the H1 is an awesome camera, and I don't know what else I could ask for in a camera in this category...I have heard far more complaints from owners of the S2 then I have from owners of the H1...I hear people all the time saying they are returning their S2, but I have yet to hear an owner of a H1 state they are returning their camera...
van_city is offline   Reply With Quote