Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:33 PM   #1

For those of you who have or have used to DSC T7, I have some questions:
1.) The zoom lever looks very small and hard to use, is it?
2.) Is the camera too slim to handle easily
3.) Are the bottons too small and do they require some professional fingers to get the depressed?
4.) Overall how has the camera satisfied you, and any other comments would be awesome.
Thanks
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:13 PM   #2

To answer a few of your questions:

1.) The zoom lever is a tiny rocker switch and is not the most comfortable to use.
2.) It's not really the slimness of the camera, but the placement of the LCD and switches that make it difficult to get used to. (I always end up with my thumbprints all over the T7 LCD because it is placed so far to the right.)
3.) The buttons aside from the zoom are actually very good and not hard to press.

4) Overall the camera is good for outdoor photos, but gives you poor indoor shots.

If you must get a slim "T" series camera, I would recommend the T33 ovr the T7 for quite a few reasons:

1.) The T33 is much easier to hold and the buttons are positioned in a more comfortable place than the T7.

2.)The T33 just drops right into the dock letting you charge the battery, transfer pictures to your computer or plug in an a/v cable to view photos/videos on your tv.The T7 has to be screwed in to its dock and you must also connect a port replicator in order to transfer pictures to your computer or use the a/v out.(See picture below.) You cannot charge the battery inside T7 even if you purchase the optional AC-LS5K ac adapter and the battery charger that comes with the T7 is a pain in the a** to use.

3.)Battery life with the T33 is much better than with the T7.

4.) Flash isSLIGHTLY more powerful in the T33, but both of them are underpowered. See my flash comparison between a few cameras here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

5.)I presonally prefer the automatic lens cover on the T33 over the manual sliding door on the T7.
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:13 PM   #3

So do you think the DSC T7 justified it's $500.00 price tag??
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:47 AM   #4

My wife had a DSC-V1 and replace it with a T7 because of its styling. After 2 weeks of use we returned the T7 because of it's poor photo quality. We experienced bad focusing, much video noise and excessive camera motion causing blurred photos.

We instead bought the Sony DSC-W5 for $100 less. We are very pleased with the photo quality and the use of NiMH AA batteries. The lens on the W5 and the new W7 are much faster.

It looks like Sony needs to improve the lens to make the T7 a winner.
ppassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:18 PM   #5

ok cool. Why were the photos blurry? Is the default shutter speed for flash 1/40th of a second like it is in the P200? O and if you examine ur photos with that camera, did the pictures suffer from blurryor darkcorners like most cameras wit that lens design do? Where did u buy it, did they accept the return?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:22 PM   #6

Well if u don't know about the blurry pics, how but if justified the price? Please help, buying camera tomorrow, but need assurance
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:10 PM   #7

Hi, I recently bought the t7 and found similar issues, indoor pictures are grainy, especially if you are a distance away. I've got the dscf707 which is great but was looking for something smaller. Is it possible to connect the camera via the provided usb cable directly to a pc? so far i've been downloading the pictures to my sony laptop via the memory stick slot provided. If this is possible, can someone give me details on where to connect the usb to the camera?

On another note, i've also purchased the canon sd400 to compare the quality, but most of my electronics are sony, so not sure which i'll be keeping, any info on this one would be great.

thanks

amar
amardeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 5:00 PM   #8

The noise is from the CCD sensitivity being increased to compensate for the small CCD and optics size which reduce the amount of incoming light, as it is a compact camera. This can be reduced via NoiseNinja or something on the PC.

You can connect the camera to a computer directly via the port expander that comes with the unit. You snap it on, and connect the USB cable, this should be described in both manuals that came with the unit.

The port expander has an AV, USB, and power jack on it.

amardeep wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I recently bought the t7 and found similar issues, indoor pictures are grainy, especially if you are a distance away. I've got the dscf707 which is great but was looking for something smaller. Is it possible to connect the camera via the provided usb cable directly to a pc? so far i've been downloading the pictures to my sony laptop via the memory stick slot provided. If this is possible, can someone give me details on where to connect the usb to the camera?

On another note, i've also purchased the canon sd400 to compare the quality, but most of my electronics are sony, so not sure which i'll be keeping, any info on this one would be great.

thanks

amar
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote