Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:37 AM   #1

hey guys, a couple of weeks back i got my hands on a P200 everything was goin great loved the pics it took and everything, but that was until the other day i was outside taking pics.

and in one shot i noticed that theirs a large darksmudge like shape on the blue background. it even appears when on full zoom, and if the F is at 10 its even worse. what's even more anoying is that fact that their are 2 other smaller round shaped anomalies, damn for a 400$ peice of electronics this shouldnt happen!!!

its really hard to get over this prob coz now i know that the marks are there

i've attached a pic of what i'm taking about, in hope that some one may have an idea of what the problem is, i just hope that their not scratches!
Attached Images

Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:57 AM   #2

Take a look at the lens when the camera is on and see if there are any smudges or if there is any dirt on it.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:52 AM   #3

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
Take a look at the lens when the camera is on and see if there are any smudges or if there is any dirt on it.
nope no smudges or anything , actually that what i thought it was at the start i gently wiped the lens with a microfibre cloth and nothing happened it was still there.

well anyways i took it to the local sony dealer so they could check it out and tell me what the fault was and according to the tech guy over there its a faulty CCD, and since i got the cam as a gift and have no local warranty i got to payabout 180$ to get it fixed! i'm really pissed at sony for putting out products with defects such as this, if only this wasnt such a great camera, i wouldve gotten rid of it.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:47 PM   #4

Looks like dirt on the sensor or an inner lens element. Try using a can of compressed air aimed around the lens barrel to try and blow it off.

Also, try resetting (I found this in the Sony CyberShot FAQ at): http://www.sonystyle.ca/view/DSCLanding/faqs_sup.shtml

It looks like there are water spots in some of the photographs that I take. Is there a way to correct this?
This is a problem that can sometimes be solved by doing the following:
Press the RESET button on the bottom of your camera using a fine-tipped object, then turn on the power again. (All the settings including date and time are cleared.)
Should your camera still not work properly, please consult your local Sony dealer or visit an authorized Sony Service Centre.
Maxx
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
since i got the cam as a gift and have no local warranty i got to pay about 180$ to get it fixed!
I don't think it would be in poor taste to ask whoever gave you the camera whether they kept the receipt so you can get warranty repairs for it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:19 PM   #6

Tyrant wrote:
Quote:
CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
nope no smudges or anything , actually that what i thought it was at the start i gently wiped the lens with a microfibre cloth and nothing happened it was still there.

well anyways i took it to the local sony dealer so they could check it out and tell me what the fault was and according to the tech guy over there its a faulty CCD, and since i got the cam as a gift and have no local warranty i got to payabout 180$ to get it fixed! i'm really angry at sony for putting out products with defects such as this, if only this wasnt such a great camera, i wouldve gotten rid of it.
I understand your anger, but Sony is not alone in having an occasional defective product. That is why it is important to keep all receipts and warranty papers (even if you're giving the item as a gift) to protect yourself should you encounter a defective product.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:43 AM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
since i got the cam as a gift and have no local warranty i got to pay about 180$ to get it fixed!
I don't think it would be in poor taste to ask whoever gave you the camera whether they kept the receipt so you can get warranty repairs for it.

actually i have all the recipts and everything + the papers for a 2 year extended warranty except that the warranty is a european one and not international so i have to go all the way to the EU to get it fixed, well i guess its time to packup and head to the UK for the summer .

rjseeney, i understand that their are defective products, every company has these kinds of things, and i'm only angry coz i loved this cam so much i mean the pics it took were amazing!!!

heres a pic i took of a friends skyline and it just came out great

well anyways, i know someone thats gonna got to the Uk (where the camera was bought), and am gonna either get it fixed or replaced so all hope is not lost .

thanks for all your replies .