Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:47 PM   #11

Wow thats a deal breaker for me. What I dont understand is if the DSC T7 was made to do quick snapshots, then why make the shutter speed with flash so slow? MAN!!! If only the shutter speed was like 1/60th of a second, I would have boughten it? Darn, I really like its size too. O well, Fuji F10 or casio Z750 for me.
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:46 PM   #12

It is not as bad as it sounds. The 1/40th is only the flash sync speed. It is the same with the Sony V3...turn on the flash and shutter speed is set to 1/40th.

In those cases,it is the speed of the flashthat stops theaction.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:49 PM   #13

Yea but if pictures are oging to turn out blurry because of motion, what good would that be. I know it isn't suppose to be an indoor camera, but still, it should be more versatile with it's flash and so on.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:15 PM   #14

I just did a test where I took flash shots of my hand moving back and forth... even as fast I could make my hand move which makes it blur to my eye it produced no blur on the camera picture, I don't think 1/40th is a big deal.
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:52 PM   #15

Really? well then maybe people with blurry pics were complaining about something else. Can you send me some full size pictures([email protected]). I am mostly looking for pictures of people, and lowlight photos, but would also like to see whatever you have to give me
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:41 PM   #16

All the fullsize test shots I kept are linked to above in my previous posts, I can take some different kinds by request if you'd like. Some are indoor shots without a flash.

I think the blurring problem might be from people not holding the camera steady and jerking it when they take a picture, the reason being the ergonomics on the camera are... unique, due to the the thinness, and take some getting used to.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:41 PM   #17

Could you take some pictures of people with flash at various distances? Also maybe like a picture of a room, like a living room for example, so I can see corner sharpness, and maybe see if the flash distance would fit my needs. For the price and usefullness, do you thik I would get more of a great value from this, or something like the F10(my two choices). I want a go-anywhere camera and the F10 is a little big, but the T7 would not be good for banquets and parties where low lighting is prevelant.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 3:59 AM   #18

Well, here's a flash shot of my living room/dining room/kitchen in otherwise dark conditions:

http://www.talinia.net/img/DSC-T7/flashtest.jpg (auto mode)
http://www.talinia.net/img/DSC-T7/flashtest2.jpg (manual mode-- ISO400 instead of 320, flash +1, EV +2, sharp +1)

It's shrunken down by 60% and recompressed, but otherwise unmodified. I was standing about 8 feet back from the couch arm you see in the bottom of that picture. Can't recall the dimensions of the room. Hopefully that's what you wanted.

Keep in mind... the T7 flash is rated to 1.7m, which isn't even the length of the couch, so remember that picture is beyond the rated range of it, and you aren't going to be taking pictures from 20 feet away in total darkness probably anyway.

http://www.talinia.net/img/DSC-T7/flashtest3.jpg (manual mode -- object actually in the rated flash range)

As you can see, the flash is quite bright if you follow the rated range on it at all.

The F10 looks pretty big to me, I wouldn't want to put it in my pocket. If you have really big pockets though, it's undoubtedly a better low-light camera. Bigger lens, bigger CCD, bigger flash... and unfortunately a bigger camera.

too busy101 wrote:
Quote:
Could you take some pictures of people with flash at various distances? Also maybe like a picture of a room, like a living room for example, so I can see corner sharpness, and maybe see if the flash distance would fit my needs. For the price and usefullness, do you thik I would get more of a great value from this, or something like the F10(my two choices). I want a go-anywhere camera and the F10 is a little big, but the T7 would not be good for banquets and parties where low lighting is prevelant.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:39 AM   #19

Well thankyou, those are what I was looking for. I think I can live with that flash range, and on monday I was going to buy a camera, lets just hope they have it at circuit city. Thanks for all the help
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:31 PM   #20

Danget circuit city had a sale last week selling the T7 for 450.00(I want to get it at a store so I can easily return it if needed) and now they raised the price back to 500.00 that sucks! Ill check bestbuy