Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:18 AM   #31

My Sony customer service runaround:

I emailed sony about this issue and also sent them links. They told me to send me camera in for repair. I questioned this: is it broken? Are they saying every camera with this problem is defective? Certainly all the models we tried of this P200 at the store had this same issue. I'm certain sending it in to them will result in zippo. Had I never used a Sony digital I'd say "I guess this is the way it is" but coming from one 4 years old that now seems better, I think this is the wrong attitude. So I stated it as such and asked them to send me a camera which they have tested that works (since they seem to think mine is broken) and I'll gladly send them mine in return. I can assure you if I sent in my unit it would come back no problem found.

I know I'm being a bit difficult about this, but it seems wrong to just say "that's the way they are; deal with it in post production" than addressing it should not be the case. PErhaps because it is purple people seem less concerned. What if it could not take a proper photo of the color red. All red images turned out yellow. People would tell you the camera was junk.
marieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:58 PM   #32

I don't think it can be fixed. It happens on my 300D just like on the P200. Others have said it occurs on the Nikon D70's. My guess is that the nature of the RGB makeup of the sensors has allot to do with it. It can probably be corrected through post processing but maybe there is a trade-off in how that would affect other colors being rendered. I think I'll take a purple card into Best Buy and see what cameras can't render the color properly on the LCD screen.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:58 PM   #33

The only comment I can make to your examples is that there definitiely IS purple in the examples. The blue blossoms arein shadow which gives a cooler light. Open shade lighting can be around 9000K. If we take purple and add a blue colour-cast, we are going to get more blue than purple..which is what we see.

I think this is simply a problem of White Balance where the camera is treating the scene as cooler than it actually is. You can restore the purple colour of the 'blue' blossoms by warming the scene.

I wonder if 'one-touch' WB done in the shade might solve the issue.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:59 PM   #34

The only comment I can make to your examples is that there definitiely IS purple in the examples. The blue blossoms arein shadow which gives a cooler light. Open shade lighting can be around 9000K. If we take purple and add a blue colour-cast, we are going to get more blue than purple..which is what we see.

I think this is simply a problem of White Balance where the camera is treating the scene as cooler than it actually is. You can restore the purple colour of the 'blue' blossoms by warming the scene.

I wonder if 'one-touch' WB done in the shade might solve the issue.

As an example, I took one of the original samples posted here and did nothing but alter the colour temperature to make it 'warmer' and guess what happened:

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:40 AM   #35

I merely suggested a P93. I perassumed a way more than I should off mg. Sorry,

precious.

:?

So all is practical.

One camera out theremay be dedicated to the warm setting in it's automatic mode.

Sony is not generous with colorful flowers. From that told, the clickon one great flower is the foe to the rest.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote