Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:05 PM   #1

I'm disappointed in the purchase of my brand new P200. I currently own a DSC-700 from 2001 and it takes absolutely great photos, but is slow. I wanted an upgrade and waited a long time and read lots of reviews. Upon trying out my new P200 I was sad to see that all my purple petunias are now bright blue! This is clearly not what I paid for. I have read on other sites about a blue/purple problem with digital cameras, but I came from a digital camera which never had such a problem. It seems strange that a $400 camera cannot take a correct photo of anything purple. :?

We called Sony customer service who claimed to have never heard of this issue. We also went back to Circuit City and tried the camera they had in the store. All of them exhibited this problem. Even the manager was shocked. He extended our trial warranty an additional 2 weeks to test it out. Can't imagine it will fix itself.

What I'd like to know is if this is a problem generic with P200. Would it be worth having them "fix" it? We've spent money on a Gig card and also an extra battery only to see this problem now. I feel like I've been duped.

marieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:42 PM   #2

Sony's are usually pretty good with colours, especially outdoors. Have you tried different white balance settings, orusing custom white balance ("One Push")? You'll need a white subject or 18% gray card for a reference.

Maxx
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:57 PM   #3

I looked into the white balance and it is set to automatic. Do I need to have a specail white card? Can any white piece of paper do?

By the way, is this something you need to do every time you use it??
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:13 PM   #4

I too have looked into what custom white balance is and this is what others said:

http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9435
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:14 PM   #5

I just tried this custom white balance and it didn't make any difference. I do notice that if I hold a purple toy in my hand and move about the room while looking at it through the LCD it turns from blue to purple to blue to purple.

Should I take this camera back or do others with the P200 see this same problem??
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:14 AM   #6

Sounds odd. See if you can try another.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:50 AM   #7

The first day I took pictures with the P200, I found this shot of the purple climatis. The flowers are deep purple when they first open, then they gradually fade away most of their color before dropping the petals. This shot perfectly captured the state of the bloom.

http://www.ec-photo.com/originalstar...00047.jpg.html
originalstarlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:19 PM   #8

Yes, but your purple climatis is blue!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:17 PM   #9

Looks like they are purple to me.

Here's a P200 color chart test shot:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD.../P200DBWBM.HTM

No problem with purples. Do you need to adjust your monitor?

Maxx

Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:32 AM   #10

Call it lavendar then, but it is not a deep purple that I am having problems with.

I can tell you I have taken the same photos of the same item and sometimes it is blue and other times this is purple. This does not vary by LCD on the camera, TV set or laptop. i'll post some photos so you can see what I mean.

There is a huge difference between the dark purple petunia in real life and the BRIGHT BLUE petunia in the photo. I take one set with my old Sony digital and one with the P200 and the difference is night and day.

Like I said, I went to the store and tried their display model and did the same thing. A dark purple toy is bright blue in the photo.